pie.ai

OkijinGames

Hi Everyone,

Pie.Ai (alpha) is my new HTML5 multiplayer game. 

Jump straight into the action and eat as much as you can of everything (even other players) but don't stand in the JAM!

With simple one touch control to jump, eat, fly, open locks, break blocks or attack the game is designed to offer seamless experience across all devices (phones, tablets, PC).

This alpha version was developed in one month (originally part of another project, more details below). Note that I have currently limited the number of players to 12 for the alpha so you may get the "Tables full" message if it gets busy at time (you can always spectate to get an idea).

promo.png.dbcf648198a5df0a4f6f2ff0fe01ec4d.png

Click here to play

Here is what to expect in the next few days:

• Lootable Armor (or temp invulnerability).
  • Improved bot AI.
  • More skins
  • Multi-language support
  • Gold shop to unlock starter packs and skins (gold farming allowed).

Game Design:

• Propeller vs Jetpack for flying (currently both items behave the same, I am thinking of differentiating them)
  • Smash items mechanism (jumping on some items to trigger some effects)
  • Game modes (have a few ideas that need to be tried out).

Initially that game was to be part of another upcoming project (mini game for Idle Brainz) but somehow I got stuck with the top-down graphics and changed to adopt an isometric view. Since the style ended up so different from Idle Brainz, I decided that a separate standalone release would probably be better.

Feedback are welcome.

21 hours ago, mattstyles said:

Great work as usual! Really fun, although I need to fire it up on a touch device, the trackpad just doesn't cut it!

21 hours ago, Goblet Ed said:

Cool and refreshing concept. Is it based or inspired by an existing game or did you come up with this yourself?

Nice work!

Thank you! I came up with the idea myself. Although it evolved substantially since the first prototype. In the very first implementation (top-down view) players could only move when eating a block.

8 hours ago, b10b said:

I have no idea what just happened, but it was fun!

Thank you !

19 hours ago, Horizonicblue said:

Hey great work buddy, I can see this time the art is something different type as compared to your older games.

By the way, what are further plans with multiplayer game, planning to keep it for players only or you will be licensing it?

Thanks! Indeed, I do not plan to do licensing for this game. 

After playing this game repeatedly over a couple of days (because it's so fun :D) I want to make a suggestion. I assume you've already made plans for leaderboards or shop etc. something to use the coins for, if not, that's the first. Otherwise, sometimes I lose track of the mouse, so maybe hide the cursor and use a big blocky one in the game. Or highlight the current block the mouse is over.

Fun game! 424 is my record :)
Why does eating jammed players give so much calories? The difference to the regular pies seems so huge... 

I didn't understand if I can recover hp? That would be nice. 

Probably you'll add a way to see what items you've collected later anyway, just want to mention that it'd be cool.

Great work! 

On 16/03/2017 at 5:17 PM, Umz said:

After playing this game repeatedly over a couple of days (because it's so fun :D) I want to make a suggestion. I assume you've already made plans for leaderboards or shop etc. something to use the coins for, if not, that's the first. Otherwise, sometimes I lose track of the mouse, so maybe hide the cursor and use a big blocky one in the game. Or highlight the current block the mouse is over.

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, it will be possible to use coins to unlock skins and get starting packs from shop (keys, hammers and maybe heal kits). Regarding the mouse indeed that is a good idea i can see a nice effect for blocky pointer (could be made optional as well so no problem at all) will put on to-do list ;)

On 17/03/2017 at 0:07 PM, Firenibbler said:

Fun game! I defiantly like the innovative game play, as I have not seen many games like it.

Thank you! 

On 16/03/2017 at 11:23 PM, apanda said:

Fun game! 424 is my record :)
Why does eating jammed players give so much calories? The difference to the regular pies seems so huge... 

I didn't understand if I can recover hp? That would be nice. 

Probably you'll add a way to see what items you've collected later anyway, just want to mention that it'd be cool.

Great work! 

Thanks! 

Indeed, I may tweak the calories (currently 200 for eating a "live" player, and 100 for eating its jammed carcass). In my first implementation, getting "jammed" was not permadeath (just a 5 second freeze) and the higher reward was to incentivize players to eat jammed players during that 5 second window. (i removed the mechanic as a whole because the freeze was just annoying and confusing)

Yes you can recover HP by jumping into a healing hole (uncovered by eating a pie with the green/white cross on then)

heal.png.a932bf35f75566071aed87bd5549b442.png

"Probably you'll add a way to see what items you've collected" Good idea to explore (either death summary screen or separate screen that can popup any time during gameplay).

skins.png.1545bd5c96bd6e3c3ac20b1f549bcbd5.png

Changes:

• Added new skins
  • Increased limit to 45 concurrent players (server is getting over 1.5K daily players)

Currently working on 2 new items (will be live in next update this week):

• Shield: reduces all damage taken by 50%
  • Flag: When the player carries the flag, all calorie/gold gains are doubled but all damage taken as well.

2 hours ago, samid737 said:

Very cool game i like it! You could add something like saving abilities and skins and such, maybe new maps with elevation differences (more calories you have higher you can jump lol)? 

Hi samid737,

Thanks for the feedback. Authenticated login with cloud save (skins, gold, packs) will be available as soon as the beta is out. It is not available in alpha as the game is being balanced so sessions are not persisted at the moment.

For maps, I was thinking the other way around :) (jumping in holes to land on a new map below). There will be different maps but still need to determine the design around it.

1 hour ago, OkijinGames said:

Hi samid737,

Thanks for the feedback. Authenticated login with cloud save (skins, gold, packs) will be available as soon as the beta is out. It is not available in alpha as the game is being balanced so sessions are not persisted at the moment.

For maps, I was thinking the other way around :) (jumping in holes to land on a new map below). There will be different maps but still need to determine the design around it.

Thats a great idea (probably more practical too). Reminds me of the old Mortal Kombat series (uppercut punching to a new stage):p... for the map design: maybe different "food genres"? At any rate, nice work!

12 hours ago, TheBoneJarmer said:

What I for one noticed is the incredble speed. I played a lot of multiplayer games but this one is for me the one with the least amount of lag. Amazing! If I may ask, where did you host your game? I am building something with NodeJS and am still in search for a good server.

Thanks, the game is hosted on Azure (NodeJS). I have used Azure in the past for my games backend (leaderboard, cloud user data saves, analytics) and never had much issue - I will also try to setup an instance on Google Cloud for this game next week.

By the way I tested it on an Iphone 5c this morning and a samsung galaxy s4. the iphone 5c performs fine, the samsung is a bit slower. But they are relatively old devices...
About the iphone 5c: The screen flickers a bit (goes black) everytime I tap on the screen (also during preloading). I tested it on a safari browser and chrome browser, using latest IOS version... 
Might happen on other iphones aswell? But thats a concern only if its for mobile devices I guess:p...

Cheers,

D