[BETA] BALLS, pvp multiplayer

dufia

Hey guys!

I had this idea a couple weeks ago. I went with it, now I wanted to share it with someone. This is my first game ever, I am not even sure if it will work :) I am an amateur (sometimes freelancing) developer.

To the point:

• realtime PVP
  • P2P connection with peer.js (WebRTC)
  • automatic matchmaking based on geolocation
  • physics engine (matter.js)
  • rendering with Canvas
  • React, Redux, react-starter-kit

It is not a complete or balanced experience yet. To move it forward from this point, I would have to add:

• ranked matchmaking (ELO)
  • normal and ranked scores (win - lose - abandoned)
  • leaderboards

And plenty more. Not to mention, balancing an actual gameplay.

To play go to https://ballsgame.online

The game is only multiplayer and there is no players right now :) Also, automatic matchmaking will only match players from the same continent. I don't know how big your community is, but I am afraid finding an opponent might be difficult.

However, I am at #html5gamedevs and #bbg IRC channels as dufia. If you live somewhere in the EU, send me a message and we can give it a shot :)

balls.jpg

Looks like a fine project!  My feedback:

-add an option to play with arrow keys? My hands were kind of uncomfortable with ijkl steering. A suggestion for this: why not use the mouse to rotate and fire and awsd for thrust control? it seems more natural to me to play this way.

-I was not really using brake and boost (rotation and thrust were already challenging to control)... MAybe if you extend the playfield the boosting and braking would be more fun to use.

But nice work in any case!

1 hour ago, samid737 said:

Looks like a fine project!  My feedback:

-add an option to play with arrow keys? My hands were kind of uncomfortable with ijkl steering. A suggestion for this: why not use the mouse to rotate and fire and awsd for thrust control? it seems more natural to me to play this way.

-I was not really using brake and boost (rotation and thrust were already challenging to control)... MAybe if you extend the playfield the boosting and braking would be more fun to use.

But nice work in any case!

Thank you for all your suggestions, they are very good. I have a question, did you manage to play with someone? :D

EDIT:

We just played with @samid737, it worked well, smooth gameplay, solid ping. It makes me smile :) Thanks Samid.