Current state of the market

mazoku

13 hours ago, bambo said:

If I understand you correctly, you want to make original good „bad” game that will fit a niche audience needs? Then release it on popular games publishing platforms (it's how I understand „throw it out there”) and hope it'll get people attention?

I don't make good games simply because I don't have the skills, the experience, the patience, and in some cases - the budget. I aim to make fun, or just hilariously bad games that scratch common itches in a unique way.

I don't aim at niche audiences. And I actually do more research than development these days :( 

On topic: I don't think sticking to popular mobile genres is the best strategy for web games. But I also don't have the experience to back this up, so yes - it seems everybody should rely on their own brain and gut feeling on this...

• 1 year later...

I'm maybe late to the party...

I created a game called Theraxius (WIP). It's a simple game to play, but from a technical point of view it's a little more advanced. I can't just pack it and send it to a publisher or upload it on any page, so I have my own page and that leads to another problem: how to get players? I tried almost everything, but without success. I wanted to create a "PC version of HTML5" game - and this market IS dead. Maybe I'm wrong, but I couldn't find any decent game. Today all PC games are on Steam. But I believe that is a different story in HTML5 games that run on every device (PC, smartphones, tables).

So what should I do? Port game to C++ and upload it on Steam or continue with HTML5 and hope that some day eventually will become popular.

I'm amazed how @True Valhalla gets those numbers, I would be happy with less than 1% of that to start.

Well lets be honest... game development has always been a competitve market. We are passed the days where flash games were insanely popular. HTML5 Game development is a niche market that is not dead by any means. Has it declined in the last decades? Probably, but that does not mean it is dead. Games just keep getting more and more complex, and genre saturation has made players feel "oh this game is like x". In otherwords, players have already played basically all genres of games. Developers need to create games with a certain twist or catalyst in order to market their product.

I'll admit it was "easier" a decade ago, but the market is always open to new developers with new ideas. Take .io games for example. A relatively new genre of online games that encompasses HTML5 with a solid backend for the Multiplayer aspect. Games like Agar.io, Moomoo.io, Diep.io are whats grabbing the attention. Maybe HTML5 game developers need to pivot more.

On 2/22/2019 at 8:09 PM, therax1986 said:

I wanted to create a "PC version of HTML5" game - and this market IS dead

I'm not sure what you mean here, Steam is thriving, and Steam doesn't care what language your game is written in. I'd assume you mean package your 'web-app game' into something like Electron and release that as a game, at which point, it's just a 'game' that runs on a users' computer, and Steam doesn't care, there are already a couple of Electron (i.e. JS powered) games on Steam.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well the current state of the market is definitely changing no doubt... A decade ago it was all html5 and javascript flash games. Now game development is more popular than it ever has been so it means more competition. Not to mention, if your game does "make it" your game lifespan is much shorter than it used to be. Players love playing quick games like .io games or  devoting all their time to games like Fortnite or League of legends. If you think about it, players love playing in the "same map" when it comes to multiplayer games, the landscape is shifting no doubt. HTML5 is not dead.. imho. I'm sure there are markets out there and niche games to be made or at least simplified games cloned off popular franchises that have made it. I mean I think we need to be more creative, maybe taking concepts from a mobile game and a concept from a steam game since cross-browser compatibility is much more powerful nowadays and games are now somewhat of a regurgitation of past games. Just my two cents.

• 1 month later...
On 2/11/2018 at 10:06 PM, Red Spark said:

Making games as a hobby is much more fun and liberating than doing that commercially. Commercial gamedev is one of those disciplines that doesn't pay well and will eat your soul alive.

Hi!

I don't think so. It depends on many things and mostly if you are a talented developer you can have a good job and a nice salary. But you need to develop as professional. In most cases, if game development is only a hobby people don't work so hard.