Downgrading iOS versions

tackle

This topic regards the fact that as developers we have to try our games on many devices to ensure maximum compatibility across iOS versions (among other OS vendors of course).

Maybe you'll end up buying an extra iPhone but it turns out both your phones are iOS 6 or 7 and you want to try on iOS 5. Apple hasn't made it easy for developers in this regard so I wonder if anyone knows if it's possible to downgrade iOS versions.

I have found this: http://downgradeios7.com/  but I have high suspiciouns towards it. Not sure why.

Any thoughts?

I so wish it were easier to downgrade iOS devices, as you've rightly said, it would make it a LOT easier to assemble a decent testing suite!

I dare anybody to try using the link above (I'm not going to, I'm to scared of becoming the owner of an expensive brick!)  ;)

Have you used the iOS device management Apple provides in XCode?

If you have an Apple Developer iOS Account ($99/year) you can manage the iOS version of your device using XCode. You do it from the Organizer window https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/recipes/xcode_help-general/AbouttheOrganizerWindow/AbouttheOrganizerWindow.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40010548-CH2-SW1 (sorry, couldn't quickly find the guide on installing old iOS versions)

If you have an Apple Developer iOS Account ($99/year) you can manage the iOS version of your device using XCode. You do it from the Organizer window https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/recipes/xcode_help-general/AbouttheOrganizerWindow/AbouttheOrganizerWindow.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40010548-CH2-SW1 (sorry, couldn't quickly find the guide on installing old iOS versions)

Had no idea about this - money solves the problem once again!

Does this actually work? As in, have you actually tried it and succesfully downgraded your os or is there a chance you're confusing it with something else (like merely administratively setting the os version in a provisioning profile) I've never heard of this and I'm been keeping track! I know a whole host of users who woukd kill the downgrade, if all they need is pay $99 (collectively!)...

I hope that works. If not, I think the more realistic option would be to ask friends or colleagues. There've also been some online/cloud service initiatives, but I don't know of any solid ones personally. Worth checking out.

In any case, I guess we can rejoice in the fact that iOS 7 adoption hit about 80%. 

Sorry, I need to give a clarification here as I was mistaken on exactly what is possible. 

If you have an iOS dev account and have a device you have managed iOS versions of using iTunes and XCode, you can reset the iOS device os to an older version of the OS only if you haven't upgraded it to iOS7. If you have a new iOS 7 device or an old device you've upgraded to 7, you have to jailbreak. The way they currently manage iOS versions at my work is by not upgrading past the point of no return.

So, for new devices or older ones that have already been upgraded to new iOS, it looks like you might have a tough time doing it. Sorry for the confusing answer, last time I did it was a while back before Apple took away this capability.