Tap Racer: Rogue-Lite Racing Game

jamespierce

It's been a long time since I was able to finish a project of my own, but here it finally is: Tap Racer!

Tap Racer is a mobile optimized game that combines rogue-lite elements with a racing game. While your car drives automatically you need to tap the arrow-buttons to switch lanes and find the fastest route as well as avoid obstacles.

There are 10 race tracks from around the world and while they all have a unique layout they also have a different surface composition of: asphalt, sand, and dirt. You can preview each track, tune your car in the garage and then give it your best shot! Tuning your car correctly is crucial so you have the right suspension, wheels and body that give you the most advantage in the upcoming track's surface composition. Win 10 races in a row and you win the game on your chosen difficulty. But don't worry if you lose: you get to keep everything that you have unlocked to get an advantage on your next try! This is where the rogue-lite characteristic of the game comes into place.

Controls:
– Tap arrow buttons to switch lanes
(if on a computer, you can use your keyboard's arrow keys)
– Car drives automatically

Features:
– Rogue-Lite elements
– Tune your car in the garage
– Unlock new cars and hard difficulty

Game Link: Play Tap Racer

tapracer.png

It's quite difficult to win, especially in the beginning, and it's tough to see the track ahead so I don't know how to predict which lane I need to be in for the coming corners.. Maybe a mini map?
Been stuck on level 1 for a while haha, finally won by staying just ahead of the computer and exploiting an oil spill that they had to go into.

On 6/15/2017 at 0:28 PM, Umz said:

It's quite difficult to win, especially in the beginning, and it's tough to see the track ahead so I don't know how to predict which lane I need to be in for the coming corners.. Maybe a mini map?
Been stuck on level 1 for a while haha, finally won by staying just ahead of the computer and exploiting an oil spill that they had to go into.

Wow so cool, thank you for playing :D What you are describing are the rogue-like elements I tried to bring into the game. Once it "clicks", normal difficulty turns out to be very easy actually. Figuring it out should be the fun in the game!

Finding the right balance is very hard though, I hope I can become better at balancing difficulty the more games I create. Thank you so much for the feedback!

11 minutes ago, Jammy said:

I commend your coding and effort but it's not fun to just watch the car follow the track trying to time things.. It's just boring thats the problem right now. I'd rather it was 1 long ass track that split off every now and than

Thank you for your feedback! It will hopefully help me create better (and not boring) games in the future.

Don't forget though this is a mobile game, therefore the controls are catered to that.

Also for each upcoming track, you see the composition in the track preview. Tuning the car in the garage to suit the upcoming track composition (asphalt, sand, dirt) helps a great deal and should add strategic depth to the game. Since money is limited, there are always choices and trade-offs to be made, making the game more interesting beyond just racing. That was the plan at least when I created it!

Thank you again for taking the time to play it and provide feedback, hell even taking a look at my code!