[WIP] PicsWars.io: a multiplayer pixel art drawing and capturing game which you play only 10 turns per day

cbrwizard

Hey guys I have just openly released an alpha version of my first pc game Picswars made with Phaser, check it out on http://picswars.io! It is multiplayer, about capturing and drawing pixels and will not take more than 10 minutes off you day. Any feedback is welcome! Please leave the comments here, inside the game chat or open issues on GH https://github.com/cbrwizard/picswars.io/issues/new 

I will continue working hard on it in the following months, so expect enhancements, fixes, etc.

Screen Shot 2017-06-23 at 18.19.41.png

Edited by cbrwizard
game name change

I dont understand anything here.. I see many random colored squares. And no idea which color is mine. 

i have found some square, where says, that i can capture it. i was looking like a minute for it.

Then i was clicking on the square and then i have no idea how to conquer. i see these popups at the top right side, but these messages doesnt help at all to understand anything.

I have captured some, but in playing 10 minutes i still dont understand anything. 

i have no idea how i spread my territory and how i capture. i just random click  squares and somehow randomly capture them.

you could include a tutorial, with arrows what to click everytime with explanation then it can be more clear what is going on here.

So, i was playing 10 minutes and quitted because i still didnt understand anything

@mansim, thank you for spending your time on this!

You're not alone, 99% of the feedback I have is about not knowing what to do and what is going on. This is definitely an issue on the ux/ui side and I will focus on that in the following couple of weeks. The game just got playable and now I need to make it understandable and enjoyable, heh! I will keep you posted!

• 2 weeks later...

OK.. 

On 24/06/2017 at 5:18 AM, cbrwizard said:

@mansim, thank you for spending your time on this!

You're not alone, 99% of the feedback I have is about not knowing what to do and what is going on. This is definitely an issue on the ux/ui side and I will focus on that in the following couple of weeks. The game just got playable and now I need to make it understandable and enjoyable, heh! I will keep you posted!

You still didn't explain here how to play it. At least give us an explanation, then add a tutorial into the game later. The game looks interesting, I'd like to be able to play it.. Clicked around like a madman but nothing happened. I can't find my square, there's no on screen indicator?

Would be good to have a button or shortcut key that snaps the screen to me, then highlights my square or something similar..

• 1 month later...

Necromancer, go!

Thanks everyone for your responses and your time!

I admit that I am guilty of working on a video game in 'the basement mode', which is not speaking to my players and coding instead. The fact that nobody understood how to play the game proves it.

I didn't want to explain here how to play the game, because that's not how it should be. Players should be able to understand the game inside the game, right? =] 

I have recorded all feedback https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FaEH9uGHclU7EP48r5yh0g0kDvDJJVGwatis7qzoBsc/edit?ts=59788122#gid=0 and used it to work on the game. Now I finally can say that it is ready for a Beta stage.

Please check the game now. It changed the name, now is all about pictures! There is an interactive tutorial now. I hope the game is enjoyable and understandable now.

I've started a devlog which you can read here https://www.gamedev.net/blogs/entry/2263679-devlog-5-080917-150917-final-features-and-a-tutorial/ 

Check it out on PicsWars.io!

Screen Shot 2017-09-15 at 14.41.31.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-09 at 10.32.40.png