Performance of Babylon.js on mobiles

Hagop

I have a heavy load Babylon scene (all meshes are optimized), which runs sufficiently well on desktops and tablets. The same site is slugish, slow or does not run at all on many mobiles when accesing through the mobiles browsers. I guess this is pretty normal since mobile GPUs are not as powerful as let's say tablets' GPU. So I guess the best thing to do is to test if the site is being accessed by a mobile device and divert the user to a mirror site where the textures are of lesser quality and the mesh sizes are smaller. Is that a correct solution? Is there any other ways of boosting performance

Secondly, will  wrapping the site into a Mobile app such as Cordova boost performance as compared to accessing the site through the mobiles'  browser? Has anybody had experience with Windows apps running Babylon.js and were there any performance gains?

snupas,

5 hours ago, snupas said:

Cordova is still the equivalent of running a chromium tab, if not slightly slower. The only performance boost you'd get is that you wouldn't have to serve the scene files from a server necessarily.

Do you mean that the scene will be downloaded when running through a mobile app. So an app  useless in case the scene is updated periodically?

You won't have any performance gain running inside an app (Cordova or Hosted Web App) as it's exact the same JavaScript and rendering engine used via the webview.

As you said, you have to consider that a mobile has a potential less powerful GPU but it's really more on the memory side you'll have trouble as well as CPU. For instance my iPhone 6s has a more powerful GPU than my laptop running a i7 with the embed GPU! 

As @deltakosh said, try our Sponza demo, it runs well on most of the recent smartphones.

David 

• 1 year later...

Is there anyway you can read the console? That would be helpful.

The first thing that comes to my mind is texture size. We had a problem with iPhones. We found out that it does not support > 1024x1024 pixels and after reducing texture size, we solved the problem.