Questions about making money with games

Me3

Hello,

Sorry for the stupid question, but can someone please tell me how do the sites that buy your games work? I've read about exclusive, non-exclusive contracts, I've searched on Google for companies that will buy your games, read True Valhalla's blog, but I would really appreciate to hear about how these things work from people who have had success selling their games to these sites. Stuff like:

1) do you really just make a game, send them to a company and they pay you whatever they think is okay?

2) can someone please tell me about how much money can you expect per game? I know that it depends on what game it is, polish, and other stuff, but an average figure would make me very happy. what type of game does it have to be to expect something like $100 a day? I would be sooooo happy with something between $50 to $100 a day, lol.

3) I don't remember where I saw this, but is it true that, in some cases, they pay you on a monthly basis for your game (something like $100 a month)?

4) do these companies respond to requests or not so much, do you need to be an established name?

I would have other questions, but maybe some other time.

Sorry if the questions seem stupid, but I know that things aren't usually as easy as they seem and I would really appreciate some help with these questions.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I know that it's not very cool to make my first topic asking questions, but I'm pretty new and don't have much to add, yet. :)

I went down this path. First started to release stuff on Android Market but no avail. Anyways, to answer your question. There are plenty of markets out there where you can upload your game and charge a modest price for it. Some examples are Google Play, iPhone Market (for mobile html5), Etsy (digital downloads possible), Firefox Marketplace. I don't know of others off of the top of my head but this is the route I went a while ago. The steam market also seems to be the thing as well. If you do release HTML 5 game wrap it in a shell like Electron or NW.js. They're stand-alone browsers with Node.js set up to allow local file access and stuff. This would get rid of your cross browser compatibility issue because these shells are built off of Chrome. As for making money off of the app its a matter of luck. If your game appeals to the public you may make a good amount but must people don't appear to make much or anything at all because of competition and stuff. I see packaging and CDs for my game maker app on Etsy and make a decent amount of cash on it. I don't expect to make money off of just the app by itself.

Hello,

Thank you for your reply and your information! I really appreciate it! Also, I checked out your game (didn't have the time to download it) and it looks really cool! Very, very ambitious, also! 

Yeah, it basically works the way you described (you make game, send them to portals, they give you money to use this game). 

As for the question on "how much" - $50-$100 per day would be $1,500 - $3,000 per month. You might get that in a first few months after releasing really cool and really polished game, but that's tough. 

The games on http://m.blackmoondev.com made from $38 (lowest) to $5,091 (highest) within the last year - so between 10 cents to $13 per day per game - hope this info will help you.

On 2017. 7. 13. at 10:00 PM, blackmoondev said:

Yeah, it basically works the way you described (you make game, send them to portals, they give you money to use this game). 

As for the question on "how much" - $50-$100 per day would be $1,500 - $3,000 per month. You might get that in a first few months after releasing really cool and really polished game, but that's tough. 

The games on http://m.blackmoondev.com made from $38 (lowest) to $5,091 (highest) within the last year - so between 10 cents to $13 per day per game - hope this info will help you.

Hi @blackmoondev,

I subscribed to this forum to say hello to you.

I saw and played some of your games from m.blackmoondev.com and it was really great in gameplay and quality so I instantly became a fan of your studio. I was also amazed by that you're the developer of the FEW. 

I am trying to develop games myself and may I ask you how did you implement those ads after gameplay? I am using construct 2 now.

Thank you.

- Vanz

PS: Now I searched this forum and came to know that you are in beta program for html5 game ad-sense. So, you don't have to bother to answer me.

I salute for your great job though.  

Hello, thank you @blackmoondev for the info! It truly is invaluable, coming from someone who has such a large portfolio of games that are successful! And they are really fun and polished (or should I say Polish-ed games? :D ) It really helps me, thank you very much!

Lol, I had so many questions but I can't think of any right now...

Thank you again and have a great day, everybody!!!

On 7/17/2017 at 10:01 AM, vanz said:

I subscribed to this forum to say hello to you.

Oh wow. That's nice, thanks:) And welcome to the "brotherhood of html5 game developers" :)

On 7/17/2017 at 10:01 AM, vanz said:

I am trying to develop games myself and may I ask you how did you implement those ads after gameplay? I am using construct 2 now.

PS: Now I searched this forum and came to know that you are in beta program for html5 game ad-sense. So, you don't have to bother to answer me.

Yes, it's AdSense for Html5 Games - you can apply to join the beta here - https://support.google.com/adsense/answer/7170212?hl=en

11 hours ago, BobF said:

Interesting. Is the ad revenue better than other ad networks you've tried? Have you found any significant advantages or disadvantages for HTML5 for Games that you can share?

We also have all games with Ads. I post results of latest game here 

This game and website have passed the review process of Google AdSense Team a week ago. And I have to say that the revenue with Google AdSense is better than CPMStar network which we are using in all our games. The eCPM of AFG for our traffic is 0.69$ and CPMStar's eCPM is 0.40$ yesterday.

Unfortunately AFG hasn't Rewarded Video Ads :( And it's bad for the Skate Hooligans game because we have rewarded video monetization here.

15 hours ago, Spyro23 said:

Yes, I've meant that one and it still gives me 403...

UPD: Nevermind, using a proxy worked well.

yep, the same issue for me :) We've used proxy as well.

16 hours ago, BobF said:

Interesting. Is the ad revenue better than other ad networks you've tried? Have you found any significant advantages or disadvantages for HTML5 for Games that you can share?

The integration is flawless, it has decent eCPM (round $2 in our case) and I guess Google is not a company that would cease to exist (at least in the nearest future;). 

8 hours ago, blackmoondev said:

The integration is flawless, it has decent eCPM (round $2 in our case) and I guess Google is not a company that would cease to exist

Thanks. BlackMoonDev! One other question: Does Adsense for Games allow you to specify that you only want family friendly ads (i.e., no alcohol, no tobacco, no violent video games, etc)?

On 7/21/2017 at 1:23 AM, BobF said:

Thanks. BlackMoonDev! One other question: Does Adsense for Games allow you to specify that you only want family friendly ads (i.e., no alcohol, no tobacco, no violent video games, etc)?

You can select "no 18+ ads" and select with ads categories you would like to disable - but in the end it's up to Google if they allow some ad in "no 18+" category or no. (We had some cases of ads that were passed by Google and which weren't really suitable for kids).

• 1 month later...
On 7/23/2017 at 11:29 PM, blackmoondev said:

You can select "no 18+ ads" and select with ads categories you would like to disable - but in the end it's up to Google if they allow some ad in "no 18+" category or no. (We had some cases of ads that were passed by Google and which weren't really suitable for kids).

Do you integrate ads before you sent them or do they intergate their own ads and sent you revenue??