How make a fight game

Polterguyst

Hi guys,

I am newbie on making games, and I chose Phaser to start with.

So I'd like to make a fight game but I can't find any exemple or tutorial that could help me with it. 

Someone have a tip or something, or is better choose other framework for this?

Phaser would be a great choice.

I guess you have a couple of difficult parts to create a fight game

* User input -> Phaser has loads of helpers for input but you'll probably want something to handle remember keystrokes so you can register key combos (e.g. right, right, A -> Super punch), but that should be easy enough to add on top.

* Grouped sprites -> You might not need this, you might just want a load of frames for each character. Phaser handles grouped sprites or using a spritesheet for animation so you're good either way you want to go.

* Hit regions -> Fight games normally need pretty complex hit boxes and often to get this right in the past was a bit of a performance problem as these games need to be really quick and responsive. Phaser has a couple of physics options you can use so should have you covered here. Matching hitboxes to animation frames will be your job of course.

* AI -> Always tricky. Phaser doesn't cover AI.

* The feel -> In terms of rendering smoothness then Phaser won't struggle to make a fast-paced action game feel smooth and responsive. Getting stuff like the collision detection and user input right I think is absolutely critical for these types of games, they're fast and you need everything else to fade away so you focus on the gameplay, funky collisions or frustrating user input kills games like this stone dead.

I don't have a tutorial to hand, but you should be able to find a load about different bits of making fight games, such as combo registration and hit box strategies for collisions (I've seen multiple of both, just not sure where).