Visual Novel Engine RenJS

lunafromthemoon

On 8/20/2018 at 10:40 PM, Dinfangion said:

Hi @lunafromthemoon ,

I tested your engine and it's a great tool for browser based stories.

Do you take feature requests?

Can you add a basic Dice roller in the core functionallity?

For example: instead of making a choice, just show 'roll dice', click, and show that random output and the next step resulting on that output.

Hello, I work on it, I hope to see what you make of it.

On 8/23/2018 at 7:01 AM, scion.miyazaki said:

Hello @lunafromthemoon

Dis ... tu es francaise ?
Congratulations for your project.

Pas francaise, mais j'habite ici maintenant!

Merci, I hope more people start using it!

There are already more new features like Mobile and Desktop versions, multilanguage and lots of bugfixes.

Cheers! Luna

Hi luna!

I registered for this forum only to reach you :)

I found out about RenJS at the lemmasoft forum, where I was following the Ren'Py threads. I have developed a survey game with Ren'Py and need it to work also on the web.

That's where RenJS came into play- I adapted the game but have a couple of questions left and I sincerely hope you can help me!

I love working with RenJS because it is very easy and with a bit of search and replace I was able to use the Ren'Py code.

My questions:

* I need to use weblinks in my story - there is information text, which needs to be able to incorporate some external links with further information. Is it possible to add links, that will get parsed correctly? Maybe with Javascript??

* I was trying to create a chapter menu with visual choice where completed chapters are using a different image. The IF syntax is not working with the visual choice. I can't use the normal choice as there are too many choices and my choice layout can't be used for this.  (solved with using transparent images overlaying each other.)

* I'd like to use a text input element to let the user choose a character name. Any idea if this is possible?

I hope you will be able to help me out, I can't figure out how to use/change the parser (or Phaser, or JS functions) to do what I need. Thank you for your work!

Sandra

Edited by kalesco
part solved

On 9/14/2018 at 10:38 AM, kalesco said:

Hi luna!

I registered for this forum only to reach you :)

I found out about RenJS at the lemmasoft forum, where I was following the Ren'Py threads. I have developed a survey game with Ren'Py and need it to work also on the web.

That's where RenJS came into play- I adapted the game but have a couple of questions left and I sincerely hope you can help me!

I love working with RenJS because it is very easy and with a bit of search and replace I was able to use the Ren'Py code.

My questions:

* I need to use weblinks in my story - there is information text, which needs to be able to incorporate some external links with further information. Is it possible to add links, that will get parsed correctly? Maybe with Javascript??

* I was trying to create a chapter menu with visual choice where completed chapters are using a different image. The IF syntax is not working with the visual choice. I can't use the normal choice as there are too many choices and my choice layout can't be used for this.  (solved with using transparent images overlaying each other.)

* I'd like to use a text input element to let the user choose a character name. Any idea if this is possible?

I hope you will be able to help me out, I can't figure out how to use/change the parser (or Phaser, or JS functions) to do what I need. Thank you for your work!

Sandra

Hello, I sent you a pm!

• 1 month later...
On 9/21/2018 at 7:50 AM, lunafromthemoon said:

Hello, I sent you a pm!

Hi Lunafromthemoon, thank you so much for putting this together, I just finished the tutorial and was amazed at how easy you made it for dev and non-dev alike to make engaging visual novel games! 

I do have the same question as per mentioned by Kalesco, are you able to use text input? I need to use it in a number of ways in my project to collect player's name, hometown, favourite XYZ etc.

Also, if it by any chance does support that, I wonder if it also supports customization of the text input dialogue?

Thank you!

Hello and thank you for checking RenJS. I don't come to this forum often, so any question will be answered more quickly directly in the RenJS Tutorial forum.

As for the input feature, I made a little example for Kalesco that I can send you on monday, but it's not an integrated feature yet, so you will need to personalize it.

On 10/21/2018 at 4:56 PM, swordsman said:

Hi Lunafromthemoon, thank you so much for putting this together, I just finished the tutorial and was amazed at how easy you made it for dev and non-dev alike to make engaging visual novel games! 

I do have the same question as per mentioned by Kalesco, are you able to use text input? I need to use it in a number of ways in my project to collect player's name, hometown, favourite XYZ etc.

Also, if it by any chance does support that, I wonder if it also supports customization of the text input dialogue?

Thank you!

Here's a little example to add Inputs

https://gitlab.com/lunafromthemoon/renjsinputexample

• 7 months later...

Congratulations on bringing this fine app into the world. I do have one or two problems with it though. (I'm on Windows 8.1). I am struggling to get the POSITION command to work with x.y co-ordinates. Backgrounds - no problem. Defining text box placement and using text - no problem. But when I want to position a speech bubble on top of a background, I can't get the program to recognise anything but RIGHT, CENTER etc. Am I missing something obvious? That's my usual m.o...

John

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Jahnocli,

What element is the speech bubble? A CG?

If what you're using the show action, to show a cg in a specific position you should do something like this:

- show obj: AT 500,300

The coordinates in the story text should be separated by a comma, and nothing else. If you show your example we can check it.