Recommended web hosts?

Nebulocity

Greetings everyone.  I'm wondering what recommendations you all have as far as web hosts go?  I don't need anything special, as the page will just be to host games that I've made, but I'm hoping to keep costs down since the page will be only hosting HTML5/JavaScript libraries, and nothing special like .NET or ColdFusion.  Any recommendations?

maybe local host?

I think you misunderstood what I was asking :D  I meant for hosting on the internet.  Sure, I could host from my local computer with dDNS set up, but that's a bit unfeasible for hosting a web site when you don't want to leave a PC running all day at home. :huh:

If you're comfortable setting up your own Ubuntu Server system for example I can highly recommend Digital Ocean.

$5 per month for a VPS. I use it personally and at work we use it all the time. Takes 60 seconds to launch an instance.

You must however either know a lot about setting it up, such as iptables for firewall, installing a LAMP-stack (or similar), but there's guides for that. 

If you're comfortable setting up your own Ubuntu Server system for example I can highly recommend Digital Ocean.

$5 per month for a VPS. I use it personally and at work we use it all the time. Takes 60 seconds to launch an instance.

You must however either know a lot about setting it up, such as iptables for firewall, installing a LAMP-stack (or similar), but there's guides for that. 

I do have an (undread) book on Ubuntu Server sitting on my shelf, but sadly most of my system administration days were spent on Windows systems.  I'll look into it though, and see if it's something my addled brain can handle ;-)  Thank you!

• 1 month later...

Digital ocean are really good and their support is fantastic from my experience, but I'd also recommend dreamhost for dirt cheapness and if you're not interested in managing anything directly.

Plus, with Digital Ocean, you're charged by the hour (to roughly $5 for a month's use) - so if you only need a test environment, you can easily create a VPS, save a snapshot, use it for as long as necessary, then kill it and easily restore it. A useful (and unique!) Option.

• 2 weeks later...

+1 Digital Ocean is very good. They also have a lot of tutorials on getting set up with things, setting up the nginx server, etc. 

• 1 month later...

I did bring up digital ocean initially here, and I second all the extra praise you've been giving them (customer support, tutorials etc), they're really awesome.

Curious if anyone has experience with: https://bluevm.com/ ?

Half price, for half ram, compared to DO's cheapest VPS. Could be interesting for some I'm sure.

Also, you can get a super cheap 128mb ram instance for 7.50 for a year.

It all depend upon your needs. You have choice between VPS, Cloud, Dedicated, Shared and Free host.

1. A Free Host: If you have an absolute $0 budget, you should go for the Free hosts. There are two types of free host, There are hosts like wordpress.com, webs.com, webnode.com, etc. They specialize in giving you hosting for there specific CMS, often dubbed as 'site-builder'. Off course you can just host your HTML files over webs.com, but for example in case of wordpress.com you don't have that choice. While they limit your choice, they would not mysteriously suspend your account for every second stupid reason.

1.2 Recommendation: I recommend wordpress.com if you want to go for CMS hosts. It woudln't cause you pain with bandwidth and woudln't took too unprofessional. Things like webs.com would make you look very desperate for getting a hosting while you can not afford.

1.3 Recommendation 2: I recommend byethost. I have used it to host a wiki, too insignificant to have it on my main server. It worked great. There wasn't too much traffic there either. One of my friends host his open source programming language's website and forum there, it have been months and it is still online.

1.4 Advice: If you are going for freehosts, always remember bandwidth is gold there. Try to not screw your freehosting too much. Host your games to dropbox and link/iframe them.

2. Shared Host: It is best solution for starters if you have 'some budget'. I wouldn't recommend use of any very famous and big brands. I had used ipage once and it was total mess! There sql was the worst of all. A friend used hostgrator. He had a medium sized community site and they have charged him extra many times and still performance wasn't great.

2.1 Recommendation: host1plus, leapswitch, dreamhost, linode, etc. Not the best list, I didn't had great result form shared. I basically moved from free to VPS directly.

3. VPS, Dedicated Server and Cloud are when you have high bandwidth needs and control. You need to be good at Linux, FreeBSD or Windows administration depending upon your hosting plan. The cheaper options are mostly for Linux, OpenVZ based. FreeBSD and Windows would need KVM which is generally more expensive. Cloud are for those who want to expand there resources slowly as they earn more money, Dedicated is the ultimate beast. When your business is going well and you are generating EXTREMELY huge traffic, you would need to get one or more dedicated server.

3.1 Recommendation: Not easy. I personally use leapswitch's US based servers. It is an Indian company so payment process and all is easy for me. But I'll recommend you to research very well. Go lowendbox and see what are the offers. Don't fall for offers, research about company's background, reviews, etc.