Sign in to follow this  
True Valhalla

XboxIE and Sonyfied bring HTML5 games to Xbox One and PS4

"This month a couple of services have popped up for the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 - collections of games that can be played for free, crafted with HTML5 for play inside a next-gen gaming console's web browser.

Both sites are essentially the same, tending to their respective consoles with basically the same layout. Playing one site on the console opposite it results in a few broken bits and pieces, but that's what the other iteration is for. While you'll find a few advertisements stuck in amongst the rabble, each of the games we've tested thus far have worked remarkably well."

Full article: http://www.slashgear.com/xboxie-and-sonyfied-bring-html5-games-to-xbox-one-and-ps4-23314263/

I am totally interested in this. 

I've been really curious as to how these browsers accept user input, and whether the gamepad APIs work correctly in them.

(I have large doubts with XboxIE, mostly because... IE... STILL doesn't support the gamepad API on desktop computers, among other things.)

Anyone have more info, or a device to test with? I haven't a next-GEN console. : /

Actually, I don't think it's related to any controller API, my game don't implement any controller API but is listed there as compatible :)

I suppose that you can control the mouse cursor with analog stick and click with A/B buttons... so if your game only rely on mouse click/touch it should be OK.

Actually, I don't think it's related to any controller API, my game don't implement any controller API but is listed there as compatible :)

I suppose that you can control the mouse cursor with analog stick and click with A/B buttons... so if your game only rely on mouse click/touch it should be OK.

Then... what does it do when a game is designed to be controlled through gamepads, or keyboard, but has a multi-touch interface as a fallback? Does that mean you can't actually use your controller........ as a ....... controller? >.<

From what I understand.
XBoxIE portal doesnt do anything, they only test the game and if it's playable on Xbox One/PS4 they reference it.

the behaviour totally depend on the game code, I don't have XboxOne or PS4 to test, but I assume that the integrated browser fallback to analog control when controller API is not used (like the touches interpreted as clicks on mobiles).

Anyone have more info, or a device to test with? I haven't a next-GEN console. : /

Yeah, I have an Xbox One. I've played a few of my HTML5 games on the XB1 but you use the controller to move the mouse around, then press A to "click". Doesn't work well for my faster paced games like Aquatic, but it's not terrible for slower paced games. Obviously, a controller API would be nice...