New Structure to Documentation

JohnK

15 hours ago, jerome said:

13 hours ago, bulisor said:

Changes are committed and will be active after next build.

I totally agree!  Nice work, JohnnyKakes!  Wow, what an undertaking!  There's sure to be many minor tweaks needed, ahead.  Let's all be kind to JohnK as he irons-out the wrinkles.  He deserves some serious hugs from all of us.  He's got a plan.   It might seem strange, here in "the early days", but I trust his vision 150%.  PARTY!!!

Docs writers/helpers should start thinking about "templates" (boilerplates?)  What DOES a "tutorial" look like?  What does a "how-to" look like?  Are we going to try to branch/link to a different "how-to" from within one how-to?  Often, a tutorial has lots of "sub"-things to learn... on the way.  We should think about granularity and modularity.  (is that a word?  I don't think so)  :)

Does a how-to ever teach more than one how-to?  How do we branch our how-to's so that they can cover the other "prerequisite" how-to's?  Let's think about doc writing/adjusting ideas... that can assist John's mission.  Let's learn John's game-plan, so we can help him evolve the old ways, into the new ways.

John, do you have ANY #2 man, or #3 man... who already sees your vision, or partially?  I'll try to climb-to #10 man soon, but I've got a hundred other projects happening. 

Your master diagram is great... very helpful for seeing the new big picture.  I heard that @RaananW knows how to create clickable areaMaps in github markdown, so, soon your diagram will be clickable in numerous places.  Coooooool. 

A special thanks to @Temechon and his working partners... for building the system that allows John's re-structure to be possible AT ALL.  You guys ROCK!

15 hours ago, Wingnut said:

I wonder how many broken links in forum messages... we have, now.  I know that I have inserted a couple thousand links to docs.  :o  Have they all gone sour?

My intention was that old forums links would go to the same or at least related page in the new structure. However I have only tested one or two. If anyone finds any broken links in the forum I will see if it is possible to do a sensible redirection.

*nod*  I suppose a few of us could request low-admin status on the forum... and possibly attain editing power... to fix broken links in anyone's forum posts.  I dunno if the boss would go for it, but... I'd be glad to fix links while I tour-around reading.

It might be nice to have a "collect all links to Babylon docs on the entire BJS forum" feature... in the forum software/db.  Then a few maintenance people could work-on various sections of "the list"... until we kicked its butt, royally.  :)

Nice work @JohnK - it's much better this way.  Not sure if it was an oversight or intentionally removed (or I just can't find it now), but I could not find the ionic-babylonjs page.  I think it is still useful even though it references BJS2.5 and could use an update with the new 3.0.  It's not hard to find @jsgirald's github repo with google, but I think it's nice to have a doc that more can contribute to and maybe update with BJS 3.0 and other best practices.  I am looking at putting my BJS game on android/ios, so that is a good possible starting point.  The very popular ar.js thread followed same tutorial (http://www.html5gamedevs.com/topic/31654-babylonaugmented-reality-in-arjs/?page=5) and @aFalcon agrees that link rocks! :)  I think a good section on ionic/cordova would help more people get BabylonJS onto devices easier and sharing tips spread through lots of different forum posts.  With crosswalk being deprecated - it's a fast moving target.  Cheers.

Also, @Deltakosh  for updated links - maybe it's a nightmare to maintain, but what about a URL rewriter lookup for old->new (301 redirects)?  Not just for SEO, but for links outside of the forum like blogs/emails?  edit: read earlier posts, so looks like this is how it is done with redirects and no need to update forum posts...

49 minutes ago, brianzinn said:

Not sure if it was an oversight or intentionally removed (or I just can't find it now), but I could not find the ionic-babylonjs page

Will check  tomorrow to see if I lost it somewhere

(Wingy hugs everyone who is working-on docs)

I don't think there is a word "texturing".  It's an old Wingnut mistake,  I believe.  :)

Way back, I tried to convince @Pryme8 to write "Everything You EVER Wanted To Know About Materials"... but he didn't "bite".  What person in their right-mind... WOULD?  :)

Channels.  Material channels, and channels that modular documentation could "fall-down-thru"... to teach about material channels.  Its all very Zen, whatever THAT means.

Materials are a perfect candidate for my first-ever PBT.  (playground-based tutorial).  It also needs to be a standard text/diagrams/demos tutorial, too.

Ahh... I see/feel SOMETHING about materials.  It's calling me.  SOME kind of way to help teach it... but... damn.  It would be REAL NICE if this "special tut" was also a material analyzer... and we could feed it a material currently being used in a scene.

The "live tutorial" uses THAT material... as it's subject matter.  Thus... it only teaches... what was used.  Yet, it HINTS at the other channels and what they are used-for.  Then user can code-in more material channels, and send it thru the material analyzer again, and now the GUI helper/info panels... will give hints/help about the freshly added stuff.

You know... "helping me while I do actual work".

I guess that's what the PG/framework debug stuff is for... but for some reason, I find PG debug... un-appealing.  Not sure why.  I probably just need some hands-on time, with it.

Thanks again for all your docs work, gang.  And thanks to all forum users who are helping... with kindness.  You guys are great!

PS:  For those who dare to grab a git client for home computer, clone our docs repo to home, and do "a build" at home (which creates our entire docs website on your home computer)... I can promise you a good time.  It's a bit of work to get it set-up, but... when you say "go" for that "build"... it's like a huge rock'n'roll show AND a powerful lightning storm... all at the same time.  About 1000 batch-master robots... go to work RIGHT NOW... grunting, gulping, munging and npm'ing their little brains-out.  It's amazing.  SO MUCH logging goes across your screen in a few seconds... that you'd swear that your computer just became TRULY useful and controllable... for the very first time.  It's a treat.  Then go tour-around in the build-scripts, and marvel, and drooooool.  Robot code!  Batch-blasting!  Bigger than a diesel locomotive engine!  VROOOOM!  SO COOL!!!

• 3 weeks later...