Three.js or Babylon.js for room design

Art Vandelay

6 minutes ago, adam said:

In the case, the user should be reusing Rays.

When you call 

public pickWithRay(ray: Ray, predicate: (mesh: Mesh) => boolean, fastCheck?: boolean): PickingInfo {
return this._internalPick(world => {
if (!this._pickWithRayInverseMatrix) {
this._pickWithRayInverseMatrix = Matrix.Identity();
}
world.invertToRef(this._pickWithRayInverseMatrix);
return Ray.Transform(ray, this._pickWithRayInverseMatrix);
}, predicate, fastCheck);
}

Ray.Transform returns new Ray. 

There are actually 2 objects getting created there.  A pickingInfo object and a Ray.

The Ray creation could be eliminated by using a tmpRay in the scene.pickWithRay functions.

To eliminate the pickingInfo object creation, there would need to be a new scene.pickWithRayToRef which the user would pass a pickingInfo object. (this one looks a little difficult and might not be worth it)

9 minutes ago, adam said:

There are actually 2 objects getting created there.  A pickingInfo object and a Ray.

The Ray creation could be eliminated by using a tmpRay in the scene.pickWithRay functions.

To eliminate the pickingInfo object creation, there would need to be a new scene.pickWithRayToRef which the user would pass a pickingInfo object. (this one looks a little difficult and might not be worth it)

Well, a pickInfo object is a necessary evil: you do need to return the result of picking :) 

Personally, I have found BJS to not be OOP enough.  Not in the framework itself, but in ones ability to easily subclass something in typescript.  I just have been doing PR's to switch private properties / methods to protected in instances where I have hit walls.  I also reorganized Mesh a little, so cloning can be done in the constructor, otherwise you could not clone a mesh sub-class. 

FYI, there is no relationship between OOP and trash creation.  Any design can create tons of short lifetime garbage with ease. This is not as bad as burying references to objects in other objects beyond when they need them, so stuff can never fall out of scope and be garbage collected.

16 hours ago, Deltakosh said:

Always eager to improve the engine. I will work on removing this ugly Ray.Transform

Regarding camera, the inputs are pretty well separated to me: http://doc.babylonjs.com/how_to/customizing_camera_inputs

Then each camera has a specific design (ArcRotate, Free).

As I said, I don't disagree with decisions made - It's just we all have our own view of what's best :)

16 hours ago, JCPalmer said:

FYI, there is no relationship between OOP and trash creation.  Any design can create tons of short lifetime garbage with ease. This is not as bad as burying references to objects in other objects beyond when they need them, so stuff can never fall out of scope and be garbage collected.

Agreed.

@max123 Hey thank you for your feedback Max, it's always appreciated to have constructive comments.

About the inspector, maybe I can help ? Indeed, the inspector is HTML/CSS based and I have to say it's a real pain in the ass to create a side panel :D
But you can create a div and ask the inspector to be created in this specific div (described here: http://doc.babylonjs.com/how_to/debug_layer)

Let me know if you need anything, even new features :)