do people still go to web portals to play games?

Mike018

if the games are both on iOS and android, why make a web portal? i get the feeling all these current web portals were there years ago, before everyone had a smart phone and that's why they somewhat work now. but if someone was to start now, why not just stay on iOS and android, especially if resources are limited? i literally have nothing to back up my opinions on this, so someone with more experience please enlighten me!

I can see several scenarios where you would preffer playing games on the portal rather than downloading them:

- you are fed up with f2p games (and you are kid/teenager without a credit card, so you can't really pay for anything anyway)

- you like to check new fresh titles, but wouldn't like to bash through the store and download and check every one of them. On web portal you have the "new games" section you can quickly try. 

- you have access to several devices and would like to play the same game on all of them (like desktop at work/school, mobile on your way home and than tablet back at home). 

- you have access to a device, but don't have the ability to install anything there (again school/work PC or tablet)

- it's hard for you to install games (think of kids age 5 - entering short url is waay easier than installing a new game from the store).