Game Resources Costs

Luminous Wizard

Hey everyone! 

Just wanted to find out what your costs are per month/per game or general costs? This includes artwork, music, developers etc (outsourced or bought).

Do you have any initial budget when starting a game?

I have been searching for a high quality artist for quite some time now and with a budget, I don't think it gives me that much flexibility since quotes usually come through as more than the budget itself (if you can recommend anyone with a high quality cartoonish style, please do, I would appreciate this)

How much have you spent on resources for your game(s)?

Extra: What's your costs vs profit like? 

• 2 weeks later...

If you have a budget you'll have to work within that budget, start learning how to draw, find a partner, or find less expensive outsource talent. Major game studios outsource artwork to a bunch of foreign countries. Target them and find freelance website's with a large userbase in said country. Just a suggestion.

On 11/27/2017 at 11:26 AM, DavisMoye said:

I was spending $ 1000 on my game and I failed. I stopped it.

Was this purely artwork? Dev work? And can you elaborate on "failed"? Does this mean you failed to sell licenses or it didn't generate any income?

On 11/27/2017 at 8:23 PM, html5gamesftw said:

If you have a budget you'll have to work within that budget, start learning how to draw, find a partner, or find less expensive outsource talent. Major game studios outsource artwork to a bunch of foreign countries. Target them and find freelance website's with a large userbase in said country. Just a suggestion.

Thank you for your input. The reason I asked this was because I was working with a budget with a budgeted artist, it landed up not going so well as the art was a mix of different styles that didn't suit each other. I have started to do my own art, but it really isn't that great and I would rather invest the time developing than spending the time ramping up my artwork. This all has to do with time though. I need the time developing and generating games instead of spending say, 6 months learning to do art and then having to play catch up.

Have you worked with any artists before? If so, did any of them do such a great job that you would recommend them?

Thanks a lot for the input :) 

1 hour ago, Luminous Wizard said:

Was this purely artwork? Dev work? And can you elaborate on "failed"? Does this mean you failed to sell licenses or it didn't generate any income?

Thank you for your input. The reason I asked this was because I was working with a budget with a budgeted artist, it landed up not going so well as the art was a mix of different styles that didn't suit each other. I have started to do my own art, but it really isn't that great and I would rather invest the time developing than spending the time ramping up my artwork. This all has to do with time though. I need the time developing and generating games instead of spending say, 6 months learning to do art and then having to play catch up.

Have you worked with any artists before? If so, did any of them do such a great job that you would recommend them?

Thanks a lot for the input :) 

I did not make any income and I dropped it. It is a pity now that one person has come up with an idea and made it. You can see it here.https://www.freegames66.com/flaap-io

4 minutes ago, DavisMoye said:

I did not make any income and I dropped it. It is a pity now that one person has come up with an idea and made it. You can see it here.https://www.freegames66.com/flaap-io

Is this the version that someone else made? Seems like an original and interesting idea! An io game with Flappy Birds :D  This looks like potential that could have been licensed though?

• 2 weeks later...