Procedural Game Art Generator

TomC

Hi Guys,

I'm pretty new here so quick bio, i'm a full-time developer from the UK and currently working on some game software projects in my spare time.

Im currently building a software package for procedurally generating pixel sprites.

Just wanted to see what people think and how many would be interested in the end product.

Might look into the idea of crowdfunding so I could work on it one/two days a week and get it finished and packaged on mac/windows and linux.

I have attached some outputted sprites so you can see the results. There's tons of configuration options so I have just gone with what I think looks good as an example.

TomC

crypixels-ship-grid.png

crypixels-ship-output.png

crypixels-sword-grid.png

crypixels-sword-output.png

crypixels-screencast.gif

On 12/4/2017 at 7:10 PM, PhasedEvolution said:

Preety cool! I actually think can be interesting to many developers since not all are focused on creating sprites. It makes it much easier to populate a game with a bunch of cool ones. Keep the good work!

^ Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/12/2017 at 11:29 PM, TomC said:

Cheers @agg1401 @mataguiris really appreciate the support.

Any features you would like to see, or if you run into any problems just give me a shout.

Hi Tomc, trying a little more your program, I leave you a suggestion to improve the program.

In the program you have the possibility to put "Always Border", which is fine, but you could also put, for example, something like "Always a color", to put in the area you want the color you want?
That way, you could put eyes, moons for cars, blue glasses for ships etc ...

I think the program would improve a lot with this addition.

I do not know if something like that would be possible, to be able to put several areas of the color you want, but it would be very good.

It's just a suggestion, sorry for my English, it's not my mother tongue.

12 hours ago, mataguiris said:

Hi Tomc, trying a little more your program, I leave you a suggestion to improve the program.

In the program you have the possibility to put "Always Border", which is fine, but you could also put, for example, something like "Always a color", to put in the area you want the color you want?
That way, you could put eyes, moons for cars, blue glasses for ships etc ...

I think the program would improve a lot with this addition.

I do not know if something like that would be possible, to be able to put several areas of the color you want, but it would be very good.

It's just a suggestion, sorry for my English, it's not my mother tongue.

Interesting idea!

The next version is going to include an option to limit colour within a specific hue range. For example you might as well tell the software you want tree's to be green, no point outputting red ones!

But the idea of setting exactly what colour a specified pixel position should be could be very useful.

I think I assumed anyone wanting to do extra detailing would export the sprite and touch it up in their preferred pixel editor, but adding this feature would be very useful for previewing and also if your batch exporting.

Cheers for the input! TomC

• 3 weeks later...

Hi @TomC , I just uploaded a game to google play, where there are 500 fish to unlock, I used your program to generate them, I leave the link if you want to try it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ixelgames.hungrybirdworld&hl=es

I leave some images of the game:

2018-01-09 16_12_04-.png

2018-01-09 16_21_35-Hungry_Bird_World.png

2018-01-09 16_15_05-.png

2018-01-09 16_19_10-Hungry_Bird_World.png

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/27/2018 at 6:21 PM, mickeyren said:

can that procedurally generate blood splats and explosions? I'm wondering if you have a 2D JS library version of your app so we can use it to generate them in real time.

Attach gif is a game from Deadbolt.

5a6cc2e605752_2018-01-27at1_35AM.gif.52db2372e127df98fd711b25f67a1f74.gif

Yes it could do blood splats. I have attached a screenshot, please note i've used a feature to force specific colours which isn't yet available. Will be included in the next update i'm hopping to release very soon.

I personally would batch export however many variations you want, and then pack them into a sprite-sheet and load them randomly, this has several benefits over generating in game:

1. Performance will be much better as the sprites can be pre-loaded.

2. You can hand choose, or hand exclude the sprites you like/don't like. Procedural generation isn't perfect and depending on what your trying to generate you will either have to hand pick the good ones or sometimes just exclude the few bad ones.

If your set on generating in-game then you can try the following open source library: https://github.com/zfedoran/pixel-sprite-generator. Hopefully one day I will release the CryPixels code as an open source runtime where you can export your generation grid and settings from CryPixels and generate in-game however this won't be any time soon i'm afraid.

Screen Shot 2018-01-29 at 10.47.28.png