What is the best way to handle movement of a mesh?

WingWorldWeeks

I've been prototyping a local co-op game that involves multiple players moving around on the same screen.

Where my trouble has come, is with inputs and handling multiple key presses and movement.

I've tried using the action manager to apply forces, impulses, or setting linear velocity on key down, but all of them seem to feel very buggy, especially when trying to press multiple keys.

A sample of my code looks like the following:

scene.actionManager.registerAction(new BABYLON.ExecuteCodeAction(BABYLON.ActionManager.OnKeyDownTrigger, function (evt) {
        console.log(evt.sourceEvent.key);

var velocity = player.physicsImpostor.getLinearVelocity();

if (evt.sourceEvent.key == "w" || evt.sourceEvent.key == "W") {
            //player.applyImpulse(new BABYLON.Vector3(0, 0, 10), player.position);
            //player.physicsImpostor.applyForce(new BABYLON.Vector3(0, 0, 100), player.position);
            player.physicsImpostor.setLinearVelocity(new BABYLON.Vector3(velocity.x, velocity.y, 20));
        }
        if (evt.sourceEvent.key == 'a' || evt.sourceEvent.key == 'A') {
            //player.applyImpulse(new BABYLON.Vector3(-10, 0, 0), player.position);
            //player.physicsImpostor.applyForce(new BABYLON.Vector3(-100,0,0), player.position);
            player.physicsImpostor.setLinearVelocity(new BABYLON.Vector3(-20, velocity.y, velocity.z));
        }
        if (evt.sourceEvent.key == 's' || evt.sourceEvent.key == 'S') {
            //player.applyImpulse(new BABYLON.Vector3(0, 0, -10), player.position);
            //player.physicsImpostor.applyForce(new BABYLON.Vector3(0, 0, -100), player.position);
            player.physicsImpostor.setLinearVelocity(new BABYLON.Vector3(velocity.x, velocity.y, -20));
        }
        if (evt.sourceEvent.key == 'd' || evt.sourceEvent.key == 'D') {
            //player.applyImpulse(new BABYLON.Vector3(10, 0, 0), player.position);
            //player.physicsImpostor.applyForce(new BABYLON.Vector3(100, 0, 0), player.position);
            player.physicsImpostor.setLinearVelocity(new BABYLON.Vector3(20, velocity.y, velocity.z));
        }
    }));

scene.actionManager.registerAction(new BABYLON.ExecuteCodeAction(BABYLON.ActionManager.OnKeyUpTrigger, function (evt) {
        console.log(evt.sourceEvent.key + " up");

var velocity = player.physicsImpostor.getLinearVelocity();

if (evt.sourceEvent.key == "w" || evt.sourceEvent.key == "W" || evt.sourceEvent.key == 's' || evt.sourceEvent.key == 'S') {
            player.physicsImpostor.setLinearVelocity(new BABYLON.Vector3(velocity.x, velocity.y, 0));
        }
        else if (evt.sourceEvent.key == 'a' || evt.sourceEvent.key == 'A' || evt.sourceEvent.key == 'd' || evt.sourceEvent.key == 'D') {
            player.physicsImpostor.setLinearVelocity(new BABYLON.Vector3(0, velocity.y, velocity.z));
        }

}));

My question is, what is the best practice to handle movement of a simple object (I'm currently just using a cube), and have it work with multiple key presses? Keep in mind this will be repeated for multiple players, so I'd like to to be as modular as possible

Hello, you should look how we handle keys on FreeCamera for instance:

https://github.com/BabylonJS/Babylon.js/blob/master/src/Cameras/Inputs/babylon.freeCameraKeyboardMoveInput.ts

Basically:

- every time a key is pressed the associated boolean is turned to true

- on every frame, we check the list of booleans and apply the associated transform: https://github.com/BabylonJS/Babylon.js/blob/master/src/Cameras/Inputs/babylon.freeCameraKeyboardMoveInput.ts#L88