Zombie Strike

Riddik

zs-screenshot-1.jpg

Hi there! I'd like to show you one of our game - Zombie Strike. This is a variation of match3 style game and zombie theme. The wall of the zombie comes on the player who should break the bricks on the match3 rules.

gameplay_zs.gif

Please play this: http://rivasgames.com/games/zombie-strike/

And I'd be happy to see any feedback. Also this game is available for license, feel free to contact me directly if you are interest (az[at]rivasgames.com or in private message) 

Thank you for your attention.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Really great game!

You have asked for feedback: I don't really know what to say, the game looks very polished and complete! I can only hope to reach such a level of polish one day. For example, I like how you were even creative in the main menu with a tombstone moving up/down to show the highscore. Little things like this really stand out. (I guess the only thing that confused me was the name. For some reason I expected a completely different game from reading the name.)

Anyways, I am just curious about your Phaser version: You've used Phaser 2.6.4 for this game. Is there a specific reason why you stuck to 2.6.4 and didn't go with the newest CE release (at that time)?

12 hours ago, jamespierce said:

Really great game!

You have asked for feedback: I don't really know what to say, the game looks very polished and complete! I can only hope to reach such a level of polish one day. For example, I like how you were even creative in the main menu with a tombstone moving up/down to show the highscore. Little things like this really stand out. (I guess the only thing that confused me was the name. For some reason I expected a completely different game from reading the name.)

Anyways, I am just curious about your Phaser version: You've used Phaser 2.6.4 for this game. Is there a specific reason why you stuck to 2.6.4 and didn't go with the newest CE release (at that time)?

Hey jamespierce!

I was very happy to read this feedback! It give inspiration to keep going. Thanks a lot jamespierce!

As for the Phaser version. There isn't a specific reason why we don't use CE version. Actully we didn't try it yet and v. 2.6.4 is completely enough for us at the moment.

• 11 months later...
6 hours ago, 8Observer8 said:

Excelent game! Did you make it one? Did you write code only? Where did you get the art, music and sounds?

Thank you!

We are small team, tha game has been made by two of us: me as a programmer and my teammate as an artist. 

The sounds and music were bought on stock and freelancers

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings!

Play tested using Chrome on MacOS Mojave.

Nice game; it has good graphics, consistent frame rate and addictive gameplay. Based upon the feedback you've already received in this thread, my best suggestion would be the addition of other themes to either individual level or player selectable; it wouldn't affect the gameplay(and as such wouldn't take a lot of code to add) but would add a lot more visual variety to the game.

The design looks pretty solid; Good Luck!

5 hours ago, ShrewdPixel said:

consistent frame rate

I write my own little 2D (and 3D) game engine in pure WebGL, JS/ES5 (and TypeScript/C# versions). I study how to write a good Game Loop. But I don not understand what does mean "consistent frame rate". Could you explain in short how did you determine that this is consistent frame rate? What could you say about my current Game Loop on Playground (wait a few second when all scripts and images will be downloaded). You can see my Game Loop in the file "MainLoop.js"

By "consistent frame rate" I was just making a visual observation during gameplay that the game did not stutter or pause during the actual gameplay while I was testing it.

More broadly, those terms can be also refer how your game logic is setup. HTML5 canvas can be very finicky about how your code execution is ordered. 

Looking at the code that you've linked to, requestAnimationFrame is called at the beginning of the runLoop function, which is great since otherwise the browser may have to wait for the next execution to render the frame. (I've seen people do opposite, putting it at the bottom of their function, and that will badly affect performance in all browsers.)

It's also a good idea to put all of your draw calls (your this.draw function) right after requestAnimationFrame, because otherwise if the browser gets bogged down it may have to wait until after the input or game logic for the next frame, resulting in dropped frames and lowered performance.

Finally, if you can keep most of the other functionality (input, enemy AI, garbage collection) out of the render loop and possibly in another execution loop (like a web worker) this can have massive performance gains, since once again the browser doesn't get stuck waiting for a frame to be available. (Most libraries like pixi and phaser do this already, and it took me while to get good at that.)

While this may not be noticeable on a fast desktop computer, these sort of tweaks have huge effects on mobile platforms like Android and iOS where the processing power and browser optimization are more scarce.

For example, (see screenshot) just moving your call to this.draw to be right after the requestAnimationFrame in your main loop will probably gain you a boost of several frames per second on mobile devices. 

I only had a coupIe minutes to read your post and look at the code; I hope I was able to understand what you were needing, and I hope even more that what I said is of any help to you. Good Luck!

Screen Shot 2019-01-29 at 6.33.16 AM.png