Sign in to follow this  
RaananW

Announcing Babylon Modules (Beta) - CommonJS and ES6-ready modules in NPM

Hello dear community,

I have just pushed a new version of Babylon to NPM. 3.2.0-alpha2 has a bit of changed package structure, which is, in general, transparent to the regular user.

You will still be able to do the following:

import * as BABYLON from "babylonjs";

What's new and exciting about this release are the extra modules that were added to this package. Babylon's npm package now contains commonjs and es6-ready modules, including typescript typings (for the commonjs modules). With the updated package you could do the following in TypeScript (and JavaScript):

import { AbstractMesh, Scene, Vector3, Engine, Mesh } from "babylonjs/core";
import { ArcRotateCamera } from "babylonjs/arcRotateCamera";
import { HemisphericLight } from "babylonjs/hemisphericLight";
import { MeshBuilder } from "babylonjs/meshBuilder";

var canvas: any = document.getElementById("renderCanvas");
var engine: Engine = new Engine(canvas, true);

function createScene(): Scene {
    var scene: Scene = new Scene(engine);

var camera: ArcRotateCamera = new ArcRotateCamera("Camera", Math.PI / 2, Math.PI / 2, 2, Vector3.Zero(), scene);
    camera.attachControl(canvas, true);

var light1: HemisphericLight = new HemisphericLight("light1", new Vector3(1, 1, 0), scene);

var sphere: Mesh = MeshBuilder.CreateSphere("sphere", { diameter: 1 }, scene);

return scene;
}

var scene: Scene = createScene();

engine.runRenderLoop(() => {
    scene.render();
});

window.addEventListener("resize", () => {
    engine.resize();
});

This will be using the commonjs modules available in the babylonjs package.  The file generated (using webpack) will be roughly 2.2 MB unminified (which is an improvement to the 4+MB unminified Babylon file).

To use es6, simple add /es6 after the module name. for example:

import { AbstractMesh, Scene, Vector3, Engine, Mesh } from "babylonjs/core/es6";

I have worked a lot to make it work correctly. But there are (probably) many things I did catch. Please:

1. Be patient! it was just released, there might be a few bugs.
  2. Use it, abuse it, make it fail, and let me know when it did! I want to fix all bugs until 3.2 is officially released

I will write a detailed documentation page about how to use it. For a list of modules, you can refer to config.json in our Gulp directory (until I finish the docs) : https://github.com/BabylonJS/Babylon.js/blob/master/Tools/Gulp/config.json#L21 . Add "core", being the most important package there is.

Enjoy!