What makes VR flat?

chicagobob123

Ok I know this is broad topic but I am looking for a broad answer. I have a Samsung VR headset and even in this environment the experience is not as 3D as I would think.

Which makes me wonder why? Everything in the distance looks flat and lots of times foreground looks like it pops out rather than melds in as with normal sight. 

I know you are shooting with one camera but duplicating the image and offsetting each eyes image by horizontal inches should give you realistic depth, right?  Least not from what I can see. 

I was also wondering why there isn't something to separate the eye lenses in the unit. Maybe its just not needed.. 

Anyway its just a passing thought.  Maybe someone can pass me to some reading material. 

1 hour ago, chicagobob123 said:

I was also wondering why there isn't something to separate the eye lenses in the unit.

I'm not sure if you are referring to GearVR or Odyssey.  For GearVR lensSeparationDistance  is set using Default:
https://github.com/BabylonJS/Babylon.js/blob/master/src/Cameras/VR/babylon.vrCameraMetrics.ts#L47

I have an Odyssey as well.  I have found some other demos with more 3D pop on Three.js.  Did you find another site with more realistic depth?  Otherwise make a PG and maybe we can try something.  Also, you can distort your world to make it less flat, if you are referring to curvature of earth - ie: https://github.com/SvenFrankson/planet-builder-web

1 hour ago, chicagobob123 said:

Just look at the basics the Face Book HOME view in Gear VR. Its supposed to be a vast area right? Well it looks like a 2D/3D to me. That make any sense.  Its an impression.  I mean look out the a window on a sunny day. The depth outside is real while in a VR 3D space everything looks like its in a painting with other paintings placed on top. Maybe a color graduation lighting issue?

GearVR should be using the WebVR camera (and the WebVR standard) which actually provides us with the eye information and view/projection matrix. So, it should work right out of the box without any configuration needed on your side.

What camera are you using? want to share a simple scene you think is flat?

On 18/01/2018 at 8:23 AM, chicagobob123 said:

should give you realistic depth, right?

I wonder if you are referring to perspective views. I've been reading through a great series - maybe this what you mean?

https://webglfundamentals.org/webgl/lessons/webgl-3d-perspective.html

Obviously babylon.js has perspective... But I'm not aware of a "fudgeFactor" built-in to change. Maybe there are settings on the camera?

The broad answer is that current 3D is a cheat on the eyes, and not natural since the screens are so close to the eyes. The big change will come with true 3D AR and VR - such as Magic Leap is building. This allows natural light to be projected directly onto the retina of your eyes. Until then, 3D kinda sucks.

DB