HTML5 vs NATIVE for iOS / Android (opinion)

Ninjadoodle

Hi @enpu / others that might have something to say :)

What's your opinion on wrapping html5 games (in this case Panda 2), for use on iOS / Android.

I understand that native will give better performance (especially on older devices, but I do feel like native is becoming a little redundant - especially when an engine is as good as Panda 2.

Have you experienced any issues with let's say getting adverts or in app purchases to work vs using a native solution (for apps)?

Thank you for any feedback!

Afaik, official Google and Apple In-App Purchases are only available on native apps.

On newer devices the performance difference is not that big anymore. For me the most benefits on wrapped apps is the native fullscreen experience, ability to lock the orientation, access to device's native features (iap, game center, camera etc) and to get your game on app stores.

@Ninjadoodle

Yes that's definitely possible with PhoneGap. There are several plugins available for iap's, i have used this one https://github.com/j3k0/cordova-plugin-purchase

Same for ads, many different ad networks and plugins available.

I'm planning to release Panda plugins for ads and iap's to make the process easier. But you can already use custom Cordova plugins when building game from Panda. Just use your own config.xml file and define all the plugins you need there, and they will be included in the build.

You can see example config.xml file here: https://www.panda2.io/docs/build

Hi @icp / @enpu

Thanks for the feedback. I have heard this before about implementing ads in wrapped HTML5 games.

One thing I know, is that first and fore most I want a well performing HTML5 version of my game for my website / the web.

In your opinion, is it worth keeping a separate 'native version' and an 'html5 version' of game game  - even if it adds a few days extra for the native port?

Or, would you spend the extra days getting the ads / iap's to work with the wrapper?

Thanks again

10 hours ago, Ninjadoodle said:

In your opinion, is it worth keeping a separate 'native version' and an 'html5 version' of game game  - even if it adds a few days extra for the native port?

Or, would you spend the extra days getting the ads / iap's to work with the wrapper?

I don't understand your question :blink::blink:

Hi @enpu

Basically, I'm wondering if it's worth having two versions of a game (if it doesn't add too much production time).

I'm able to make a version in Panda 2 for the web, then make a port in a native engine (like Gideros Studio) for use as apps on devices.

I've heard there are a lot of issues setting up iAP and adverts through Phonegap.

So to sum it up - I'm wondering if it is less frustrating to make a native port of a Panda 2 game (in a native engine), or setup up iAP and adverts through Phonegap and risk things going wrong etc.

OR, are the issues with Phonegap coming from using other html5 engines?

Again, I'm completely inexperienced when it comes to making apps, so just want to do it right going forward.

@icp Just curious, how would it affect market share if it's native version vs wrapped version?

@Ninjadoodle I would say that porting html5 game into native version and then setting up iap and ads there would take a much more time than just setting up them on html5 version. And then you will end up with two different versions of your game, any updates you want to make to your game would need twice as much work.

@icp Thanks for the feedback! I've seen quite a bit of HTML5 content being featured recently - I guess the technology can finally compete with native on the latest devices. I guess my only worry is the iAP, adverts and leaderboards.

@enpu Panda 2 is basically a DREAM engine - I honestly could not ask for anything better. The points you've given me are something I've thought about and I see your point. My only worry is running into problems setting the apps up the way I'd like to. I guess I just have to experiment and see if I can get the iAP's / Adverts / Leaderboards working. I imagine it will involve a lot of hair pulling lol.