Getting the Results of SceneLoader.Append()

SpaceToast

What is the best way to get the results--the appended bits--from BABYLON.SceneLoader.Append() ? The function for a single model, BABYLON.SceneLoader.ImportMesh(), and the function to load a new scene BABYLON.SceneLoader.Load(), both return their result, but Append() seems to only return the existing scene.

I believe I understand the concept in this thread--mark everything that's already loaded before calling BABYLON.SceneLoader.Append(), at which point everything that's not marked can be assumed to come from the file load. The trouble is, if multiple files are being loaded, there's no guarantee that all of the new meshes, lights and cameras in the scene come from the same file when onSuccess fires. (This is assuming file loading happens async.)

I suppose it would be possible to use BABYLON.SceneLoader.Load() to instead put the results into a new (hidden) scene, loot that scene for parts to the main scene, then delete it. That feels like a lot of overhead though. Any better ideas?

[Peeling this out into its own topic, as Q&A threads don't "bump" anyway!]