What IDE are you using?

initials

I've downloaded Phaser (which looks awesome!). I've got the test suite running using XAMPP. That's all cool.

Now I want to start working on loading Tiled TMX files and doing some other work to get Super Lemonade Factory happening.

My question is, what IDE are you using. I can see the the Tests.csproj file and assume it's a Visual C# project, but my copy of Visual C# 2010 gives me this error: "This project cannot be opened. This installation doesn't support this type of file."

There's also the Sublime Text project file, but I'm not sure what to do with it.

What's your setup for developing?

I am pretty sure rich uses VisualStudio for development, but the peoject isn't a C project :)

Its written in JavaScript, so any editor that supports JavaScript will do. VisualStudio is fine, but VisualC# wont work.

Dependend on your OS and preferences there are a whole lot of Editors and/or IDEs you can choose from; TextMate, Notepad++, SublimeText, Eclipse, Aptana, VisualStudio, WebStorm, even Dreamweaver to name a few ones.

Phaser was built in TypeScript, but you don't have to use that to build your game. Honestly if you are used to Visual Studio I would though! because you'll get complete FlashDevelop level code-completion, parameter help, compile time errors and it just makes things a lot quicker to build!

You can use the free version of Visual Studio for Web and get the TypeScript plugin too. Then just open the csproj file and have a look at the code.

If you'd rather use plain JavaScript then Sublime2 is the best imho.

@initials you'll need Visual Studio 2012 to open the project :) 

if you don't have a licence download VS2012 web (it's the equivalent of VS2010 express but for web developement)

then install typescript official plugin to get integrated TS support, I also recommande Web essentials VS add-on but I don't know if it works with VS2012 free edition

WebStorm has some issues with TypeScript still. Supposedly they have them fixed in their internal builds right now, but they haven't released the updates to the public yet. Hopefully soon because I am falling in love with WebStorm.

It is a native feature in WebStorm v6+. It is still maturing but knowing JetBrains, it will eventually put the Visual Studio plugin to shame. I have setup some Watchers in WebStorm that auto-compiles my TypeScript files and then sends them through UglifyJS and copies to my build folders. It is quite a good feeling to have it all so automated.

Thanks everyone. I'm sticking with Visual Studio for now. I'm a hobbyist with HTML5 so I don't need full power right now.

I'm still having trouble with IIS, it displays my main .php file as plain text.

I'm googling, but if this is a simple problem let me know. Oh, I already installed php5

Go to apachefriends.de and download a copy of xampp light. Start the control panel app, hit the start button and you have a running apache + php + mysql stack with nearly zero configuration.

There's also EasyPHP. It's as easy or easier to set up than xampp and it has a nice web based admin panel and allows you to switch php versions with a single click.

Hum... I am a little confused. May someone help me?
I'm getting to know html5 land yet, and the phaser idea looks very interesting. Im personally interested on that Nintendo Framework, that looks like to wrap html5 work on apps for WiiU.

If I choose the TypeScript path, it will get a little harder to try that Nintendo Framework when it comes out, for example? I dont know if I'm talking bullshit, this html5 thing is really new to me.

Thanks for the reply Davey! I was reading your posts under HTML5 category on photonstorm.com.

But are you sure plain javascript is a good start? The genius here discovered that js does not have all that good oop on it, and that scares me a lot! The microsoft video on TypeScript looks convincing.

Or maybe it's better to get some js first to know whats under the table?

WebStorm has some really good features sorely lacking in Visual Studio including a structure view of your project (being able to see what methods exist in a class and jump to them). It also has jsdoc support, inserting comment blocks automatically. It also has VERY good code inspection - it will warn you if a variable goes un-used, if there is complex code or too deeply nested structures and all sorts. Very nice features for sure. On the downside it's much slower than Visual Studio in actual use and you can't actually compile your typescript from it and don't get compiler errors, which is a bit annoying tbh.

WebStorm has some really good features sorely lacking in Visual Studio including a structure view of your project (being able to see what methods exist in a class and jump to them). It also has jsdoc support, inserting comment blocks automatically. It also has VERY good code inspection - it will warn you if a variable goes un-used, if there is complex code or too deeply nested structures and all sorts. Very nice features for sure. On the downside it's much slower than Visual Studio in actual use and you can't actually compile your typescript from it and don't get compiler errors, which is a bit annoying tbh.

Ok thanks, I have resharper for VS which provides most of the functionality you mentioned like unused variables (well at least for C# which I do most of my work in, haven't tried it for JS/TS).

I'll probably wait and see then, sounds like both need to mature some :)

• 4 weeks later...

Wow... Seems to be a lot of windows people here :-P Already starting to feel out of place, haha. I am on a Mac and my tool of choice for this sort is NetBeans. It's free, multi-platform and the latest build has lovely support for HTML5/js stuff. Not to mention it has great support for java, php, C++, and more :-) Great plugin community as well.