What IDE are you using?

initials

Ah, cool, I do keep hearing good things about it... But I do a bunch of work in java, C++ and PHP so NetBeans supports all that pretty well. Also id rather stay away from using TypeScript as I am still trying to really get familiar and good with javascript :-)

Anyone use Sublime, textmate or that brackets thingy?

I use Sublime a lot, it's one of the best all-round text editors I've ever had the pleasure of using. I don't use it for TypeScript work though because you get none of the benefits of TS from it, there's no code-insight, no jsdocs, nothing really. But for plain coding it's a dream.

Strangely I find that when I code in plain JS (in Sublime) a good chunk of my errors are typo related. When I code in TypeScript it's almost impossible to make typo or data-type related errors, so it just comes down to game logic. I.e. I get stuff made a lot faster as a result.

Cool! Sublime may just take the place of Text Wrangler for all my quick scripting needs. Also hear you 100% on all the benefits of using Typescript vs javascript, but I also do a bunch of general web dev stuff and I want to make sure I fully understand how js works before jumping in and using something that generates it for me. Especially if I want to start building libs for others to use.

But yeah, I don't want to go to far off topic :-P Sorry. Another tool I have heard people liking for js dev is https://c9.io/

I just thought I'd put a wave in for phpStorm/webStorm They both do Typescript and javaScript top tier. As for Typescript compiling all you need is a local install of the compiler either standalone or in node.js and you can use the "File Watchers" built into the Storm IDE's to automatically compile your TypeScript to js on the fly. Works a real treat! I'd say with the File Watchers it pushes webStorm above VS for Typescript support for me.

Second post: 

WebStorm on Windows and Linux for me, using typescript on node lets you use the File Watchers for compiling, that gets you compiler errors in webStorm (As you type them if you want!). I generally set mine to compile on manual save, speeds things up a bit.

I'm still pretty new to typescript, read as I need to write a lot more code,  ;) to get the full feel of it, but I enjoy it so far! Latest webStorm 7.0+ EAP's are doing rather well performance wise with it as well! 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi,

Sorry to bump this old post - I have just installed WebStorm and I wanted to add the Phaser TypeScript definition in order to have code completion but didn't find out how. For what I have see Webstorm only allows to download Typescript files for a specific Git repository and the Phaser one is not hosted in that repo.

How do you set-up Webstorm in order to work with Phaser ?

Thank you

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...