Play Link: Pixel Memory

preview.thumb.png.cdcfec021c9410efe1c940590470c3da.png

Find all card pairs, level your profile & unlock new cards in this “Memory” classic optimized for mobile!

Welcome to the "Memory" classic, expanded with new features & optimized for mobile!

Game Features:

• Play the “Memory” classic in this mobile game.
  • 3 Difficulties: Easy, Medium & Hard.
  • Level up your profile & unlock more cards.
  • Browse your collection to see which cards you’ve already unlocked.
  • 4 card deck skins: Choose the one you like best!
  • View your profile for your game stats & best scores in all difficulties.

Gameplay:

• Find all the matching card pairs on the table.
  • Find them before you run out of guesses.
  • Unlock all the card packages in the game.

Controls:

The whole game requires only click inputs and is perfectly optimized for mobile!

Credits:

The game was developed solely by me. All assets in this game were either done by me or from the CC0 assets linked below. These sources are also credited inside the game:

Play Button
Name: Cartoon Mobile Rounded Icon Buttons
Author: Nathan "GDquest" Lovato, https://opengameart.org/users/gdquest, http://gdquest.com/
URL: https://opengameart.org/content/cartoon-mobile-rounded-icon-buttons

Explosion Sprite:
Name: 2D Explosion Animations #2 | Frame by frame
Author: Sinestesia, https://opengameart.org/users/sinestesia, http://www.sinestesiastudio.com/
URL: https://opengameart.org/content/2d-explosion-animations-2-frame-by-frame
http://bit.ly/2C6Bi8b

Audio: http://www.freesfx.co.uk/sfx/

I made a trailer for the game, what do you think? Is it a big issue that the game screen doesn't cover the full video screen? For some reason it wouldn't let me scale it up, even though the video capture was same height as the game screen.

It's the first time I tried doing a trailer. Oh and by the way, the win rate has drastically increased too! It is now at 66% overall :)

Hi James,

I like the design of the game in general. The little details are very accomplished.

After the second try the game seems easier. The brain needs a period of adaptation to the new task, for optimal performance. 

Failure in the first attempt is an incentive to try again, and in the second and third perhaps too :).  So I think he has just the right difficulty.

I would only suggest two possible changes:

1) The scoring system: for the scores obtained the Hard mode seems the easiest. 

screenshot600.png.efe7b5285e9761c04f62cdb1bfefab41.png

2) In a mobile android 4.4.4 with stock browser (Chrome 33), and in a winphone with Internet explorer( I know, nobody uses it :)) I get a black screen. No problems with Google Chrome browser. The render option?...

Regards

@onlycape Thank you so much for not just checking out the game but also providing feedback!

37 minutes ago, onlycape said:

1) The scoring system: for the scores obtained the Hard mode seems the easiest. 

Do you think I should reduce the number of guesses available for the Hard difficulty? I save every win & loss that is played online and from my stats, most players are struggling with the medium & hard difficulties. As a matter of fact, the first 50 players (more or less) had a very bad win rate of only 38% overall! But then traffic picked up slightly and a subgroup of very skilled players boosted the overall win rate to over 60% now. So you definitely belong into the strong group!

My suspicion is that simply not everyone is even trying to win. Some players just wanna click the cards and see what happens, without memorizing hardly anything. Basically turning the game into a game of luck :) But then you have the players who want to win and once they figure out a strategy that works for them, maybe the difficulty curve suddenly drops. I don't have enough stats to draw any conclusions for the strong players which makes feedback such as yours so valuable.

37 minutes ago, onlycape said:

2) In a mobile android 4.4.4 with stock browser (Chrome 33), and in a winphone with Internet explorer( I know, nobody uses it :)) I get a black screen. No problems with Google Chrome browser. The render option?...

I am aware of this problem, which has been always related to the browser privacy settings so far. I have been able to replicate the black screen by changing the privacy settings in my browsers to be the most restrictive options possible.

I tried my best to have fallback mechanisms in place and I made it work on all of my mobile devices & browsers. Oddly, this includes mobile android stock browser and I don't have any problems. I don't have a winphone with IE so this will be hard for me to replicate and fix.

I learned that the black screens I was able to replicate were caused by trying to save to localStorage, which wasn't allowed by the browser settings and thus caused an error. There is a fallback already in place and should be working. It's super hard to be debugging these platform- and version-related mobile issues because I cannot ask for an Error Log from the users (JS console simply doesn't exist) and I don't own all the devices myself to test it.

Interesting is that I've used the same Storage logic in all my Phaser 2 games and it was never a problem there. I built Pixel Memory with Phaser 3 Beta 20, to learn Phaser 3 for its big release. So I wonder if it is connected to Phaser 3 or simply my inability to use Phaser 3 properly.

Regarding point 1, this is my case:
- easy mode record (new, Im in max level B)): 17 of 25 available (I would still have 8 guesses)
- medium mode record: 23 of 35 available (I would still have 12 guesses)
- hard mode record: 27 of 45 available (I would still have 18 guesses)

8 < 12 <18 . The ratio "guesses availables/number of pairs" is almost the same in the 3 modes. Maybe with more guesses in easy mode and some less in hard mode, get a better differentiation of the modes.

You're probably right and some players have not really played it.

Thank you @Umz for your valuable feedback, as always!

7 hours ago, Umz said:

Thinking maybe give players a short glance to memorise the cards then reduce the guesses that way.

That is a cool idea to remove the guesswork from the beginning of the game! I would need to track how many pairs players find after the short glance. The average of that number indicates how many pairs players memorize after the short glance. Also I have added the Bonus Guesses feature last week which would also need to be taken into consideration.

Now that I think about it, these two mechanics would complete each other perfectly! Being able to memorize pairs on the first glance is important to collect a few initial bonus guesses. I love your idea, thank you! Just need to figure out by how much the available guesses need to be reduced consequently.

My guts tell me by 5 guesses for each level of difficulty, if we assume on average we can memorize 2 pairs, which gives us 2 bonus guesses and a 2 pairs advantage at start = 4 guesses more in reality. I need to check how easy / hard it is to add this "First Glance Feature" to the intro animation of every new game. I'll keep you updated!

7 hours ago, Umz said:

Made in Phaser 3 too, gotta start playing with that new library myself at some point!

Phaser 3 is amazing! I have written a short blog post series about what I've learned from creating my first Phaser 3 game:

It is casually written and I'm sharing all my code snippets for the readers to copy / criticize. I figured people who will transition to Phaser 3 will come across some of the same problems as I did - and actually I've seen several of those questions asked in the slack channel :D Now that Phaser 3.1.1 is already released, maybe some of my Beta 20 comments are not as accurate anymore but I tried to focus on the basics of the framework which should stay true for a while.

I'll definitely give it more plays as the updates come. Keep posting every update too.
I like the ideas of bonus guesses too! Haven't run out of guesses yet but I've been taking advantage of easy mode haha. And saying that, I'd like some sort of reward for having more guesses left over at the end lol, something like that.

And the blog is brilliant, it's great to have a place to run to for the common issues. They'll inevitably pop up, so it's nice to have a quick neat solution.

• 3 weeks later...

To celebrate the release of the "Blob'n Pop" Game, I've added a new card to Pixel Memory: The Snowman!

Some players told me about their love-hate relationship with this cute little guy, so adding him as the newest card to Pixel Memory was a no-brainer for me :D

Here is the pixel card of him in the game. If you have drawn something that you would like me to add as a card to the game, please let me know!

newcards_snowman_large.png.aac1b11d5a3a38184f33d70ec46a044b.png

• 7 months later...