Salvage Guns (multiplayer)

JeFawk

Hey :)

I've been working for quite a long time on this multiplayer HTML5 game about top-down tanks. Some people say it's .io type, I politely disagree since it's way more complex than an .io game, however I use the term as well for marketing.

The game can host up to 40 CCU per room and features 2 types of vehicles for 2 types of gameplay: tanks and trucks.

Tanks are good  for combat, they blow stuff up and collect the salvage while trucks are great for avoiding combat. The latter can also pickup other resources found around the map.

The main feature of the game is the AI. While you fight against real players there are also 3 spots (more to come) where you can encounter AI. On the top left corner guarding a lot of resources are indestructable turrets, in the middle of the map there's the indestructable train wrecking everybody in it's path and on the top right corner there's the tank boss which drops a lot of loot. 

People can't solo either of these (solo as in either survive to get the resources or destroy the AI) so they must team up, however these teams start to split once they're closer and closer to the loot and backstabs start happening.

This is the link: https://www.jefawk.com/?page_id=1419 although I could use votes here if you feel kind enough :D http://iogames.space/salvage-guns it's wider on my website though and has less ads (believe me :D )

My twitter is @JeFawkGames 

Server costs ~ 100euro a month, so sorry for banner ads.

This is the normal PvP fight
SalvageGuns_SmallFight.thumb.jpg.03c262f703947197ff4321f9e9fa39e6.jpg

The ending of a boss fight:

boss.png.fd4a70c307c65fa27ef706b3324ad7d9.png

Train collision, obviously the player died :D 

5a8424e0aff69_Traincollision.jpg.73d8087775c196e6c832fd1d121d9c42.jpg

If you're still around, thanks for reading :) and if you check the game, that's just awesome. I'm always opened to any sort of feedback and criticism, be that constructive or not. Thanks!

Wow this is insanely well done! I can see how this is much deeper than the regular io game. And looks like you've got a lot more in the works as future updates. I do agree however that labelling it an io game will help with marketing as this term seems to get a lot of attention from players. Just in the couple minutes where I was playing there were loads of people online. On a side note: The banner ads didn't bother me at all (I played on the iogames domain).

Would you mind sharing some of your server details (hosting plan, hosting location, hardware)?

Glad you liked it :) the banners might not annoy you much but the fullscreen ads will do that certainly. 

The game uses a relay server (photon) with on-premises for unlimited messages. It's hosted on a VM and the total cost per month is ~ 100 euro. The ads won't cover the cost but that's life.|

The VM itself has very low hardware, 1 vCore, 2gb ram. I'm using a windows server I rented from vultr, it's the lowest spec https://www.vultr.com/?ref=7302681 here's a referral link for anyone wanting vultr xD . The server is using around 10% of the CPU and much less RAM, so it's kinda overkill, also the VM is located in Europe.

The game being a relay server has a master client which sends out data like resources creation and syncs the AI (sorry for that player, he could lag a bit if his net sucks)

Here's a photo of the network happening, sends a LOT of messages for 20 players. Hope this helped, but you can ask me more.

1dxhkh2.thumb.jpg.a51fafe4e20a596adfe58e7dbc757469.jpg

I worked on this a few months, but then again I'm a full time dev for 3 years or so now so it was kinda easy....ish to pick up.
The HARDEST PART was to get a fucking (Sorry language but i'm pissed at this) SSL to work on the server since i really wanted https. Took me a few good fucking days.

Edited by JeFawk
added more stuff

@JeFawk Thank you for sharing all these details, I really appreciate it. I've been looking into a server upgrade myself especially to run a Node.JS server. If the opportunity arises, I will gladly use your referral link! When I saw your game and how there was literally  no jittering in the other players' movement, I figured someone with a lot of experience must have set this up.