What's your current game project technical requirement in 2018?

claydev

2018 has come, WebGL (1.0) adaptation is now widely available than ever (93.1% according to caniuse.com). More, high-performing mobile devices at low cost starts showing up. Internet is getting faster, whether it is dedicated broadband or mobile data. Mobile browsers are (arguably) getting better than ever.

What's your minimum game project technical requirement for your players in 2018 and why?

For me, I am aiming:
8 - 15 MB file size
720p - 1080p resolution quality
40 - 60 FPS
Supports both Portrait and Landscape
Works with any aspect ratio (no borders on fullscreen + responsive UI)
WebGL only
Works on these desktop and mobile browsers: Latest Chrome, Firefox, IE 11/Edge, and Safari
Works on mobile devices at least: Samsung Galaxy S4 (Chrome)+, iPhone 5+, iPad mini 2/iPad Air, and more. Basically in terms of AnTuTu benchmark I think they are around the score of 30.000 or devices that are released around 2013 or near 2013.

Cheers! :D

Our primary mobile game market is "instant", so ~5s initialisation times.  That translates to 5MB-10MB for modern 2018 mobile connections (plus need to avoid large libs or initial processing times).  Accelerated Canvas (at ~98% coverage) plus fixed resolution remains solid within this "minimum" criteria.  Result would be SNES era grade, but with high def graphics?

If extending beyond "minimum" we'd leapfrog and go 6x-10x bigger (30s-45s initialisation), WebGL utilising 3D with procedural generation, resolution independent and incorporate multiplayer or server-authoritative aspects.  Result would be PS2 era grade, but with better shaders?

5 hours ago, b10b said:

Our primary mobile game market is "instant", so ~5s initialisation times.  That translates to 5MB-10MB for modern 2018 mobile connections (plus need to avoid large libs or initial processing times).  Accelerated Canvas (at ~98% coverage) plus fixed resolution remains solid within this "minimum" criteria.  Result would be SNES era grade, but with high def graphics?

Thanks to mention the initialization time! Gosh it's very important and I didn't put that. :lol: