Massive stuttering / FPS drop due to PIXI.Graphics

ForgeableSum

I just can't account for it. It happens on every machine. I'm not doing all that much with graphics and when I try to disable any updating of graphics, the stutter is still there. It's as-if the very existence of graphics in my game causes the problem. Already posted this issue on the Phaser forum and didn't get anywhere. I'd appreciate any insight. 

5a91562640603_ScreenShot2018-02-24at7_02_18AM.thumb.png.6a7909797558f05f61a5ed2f03fcc6ee.png 

You are very lucky that there was an issue about it 2 weeks ago: https://github.com/pixijs/pixi.js/issues/4662#issuecomment-364463952

Summary: babel polyfills suck.

And just because you asked us , I just have to tempt you to come to the dark side. Throw phaser away. You have a big game and you need your own framework, use pure pixi inside of it, not that v2 knockoff that phaser users, nor the new renderer they have.

8 minutes ago, ivan.popelyshev said:

You are very lucky that there was an issue about it 2 weeks ago: https://github.com/pixijs/pixi.js/issues/4662#issuecomment-364463952

Summary: babel polyfills suck.

And just because you asked us , I just have to tempt you to come to the dark side. Throw phaser away. You have a big game and you need your own framework, use pure pixi inside of it, not that v2 knockoff that phaser users, nor the new renderer they have.

Thanks for the reply. Since "babel poyfills" aren't called directly in Phaser, how would I go about disabling them? As far as I can tell, I'm not using any polys. Only rectangles and circles (but mostly rectangles). So if I'm not using polys, where and how are poly fills taking place? 

Excuse the ignorance, but I very rarely poke around in pixi source code.  

1 minute ago, ivan.popelyshev said:

How do you build your final js file?

I'm not sure what you mean by "build." I'm using Phaser 2.6.2. Sure I compile my source code into a single JS file for deployment, but that seems irrelevant to the problem as it happens using a single js file (minified source code) or multiple (unminified). 

4 minutes ago, ivan.popelyshev said:

what do you use to make it into single JS file?

I'd rather not say publicly and make it easier for cheaters to understand my code. But like I said, I don't see how it's relevant as the problem occurs before or after compiling into a single JS file. 

How is it relevant? 

i've confirmed that it is not a polyfill / conflict as none of my libraries have changed. i also tried disabling other libraries - the problem is still there.

It seems no matter what I do, updating graphics at any frequency will cause PIXI.WebGLGraphicsData.prototype.upload to hang. It's very unpredictable but when it does happen, it happens every 20 seconds or so. Float32Array and Uint16Array are culprits - but i don't know what to do with that information, other than removing any updates to graphics in my game (which is not really an option). 

I had a similar issue with Phaser 2.6.2, although the real issue was an update to Chrome. The game was fine, Chrome updated, the game was a stuttering wreck.

I spent a while trying to work out what optimisations I could make, and then, in the end, I bit the bullet and ported to PIXI. Problem solved.

I will say that the transition from Phaser to PIXI wasn't wrinkle free, but, ultimately it wasn't a move I was sorry to have made.

49 minutes ago, charlie_says said:

I had a similar issue with Phaser 2.6.2, although the real issue was an update to Chrome. The game was fine, Chrome updated, the game was a stuttering wreck.

I spent a while trying to work out what optimisations I could make, and then, in the end, I bit the bullet and ported to PIXI. Problem solved.

I will say that the transition from Phaser to PIXI wasn't wrinkle free, but, ultimately it wasn't a move I was sorry to have made.

curiously enough, firefox does not have the problem. 

Debugging chrome-specific issues would be a whole lot easier if the Chrome releases "blog" wasn't such a mess. Jesus Christ Google, just give me a bullet list. Look at this mess: 

https://chromereleases.googleblog.com/

You expect better from Google. It seems there is no easy way to determine what updates were released and when.