Dreckon - Shoot 'em up game

claydev

Introducing my new game! It's a shoot 'em up bullet-hell game designed to run on both mobile and desktop browsers.

Link
http://www.y8.com/games/dreckon

Art Cover/Screenshot
dreckon_cover_art.thumb.jpg.aa911161ddd103d573f8d6c3dc580d79.jpg

How to Play
Touch (or click) the screen to move the ship and it will also shoot automatically as you hold it. Release to stop from moving and shooting.

Game Description
Defeat all last retreating alien air units on the sea and lead earth to victory!

Features
The game contains of 3 levels; introductory, normal, and difficult level. Each level can be finished around 3 - 6 minutes.
The Player is given a maximum of 3 lives to survive, with a single weapon upgrade to get through the whole levels.
It has a score system, where each defeated enemy can increase the score.
The game has a hidden score multiplier. The multiplier keeps growing based on the number of bullet hit towards the enemy, and reset when the Player got defeated. In short, if you want a higher score, don't die and kill more!

Technical
The game is made using Cocos Creator at 60 fps by default, WebGL only, and designed to run on both mobile and desktop browsers, except UC browser.
It is designed to trap you into a position that you need to discover yourself so you won't die! The game doesn't just blindly throw bullets and enemies all over the place.
The game was developed around 1.5 working months, part-time. All the illustrations, sound effects, and soundtracks are all made by me except the fonts.

That's all thank you! Let me know what you think, and looking forward for your feedback. :)

Update 25/2/2018:
- Adjusted the sound volume
- Game over now shows Player last score
- Gameplay: Increased invincibility time to 2.5s upon revival
- Gameplay: Player aircraft position is now 16px higher from touch position than previous
- Bug: The game may not show the return menu on final level clear.

Update 19/1/2019
- New "ownership" to chewgako, haha! Apparently I do remember this account. The email has been deleted though, so I'll stick with my new account. ;)
- Upgraded the Cocos engine version from 1.? (already forgot) to 2.1
- Fixed some background issues due to incompatibility (by removing them).
- Fixed boundary screen issue where the ship can go beyond expected boundary on landscape, though the game is designed
  for only portrait.
- The game can work on both landscape and portrait, but the screen is default to portrait.
- Change main menu button font colors to be more visible.
- Edited main menu's decoration cause it looks so freaking pale.
- Fixed the main menu cloud animation loop.
- Fixed bug where one type of enemy ship aren't removed from the game after its wave is ended.
- Fixed boot script error due to Cocos version being incompatible with the old boot file from custom build-templates.

Update 23/1/2019
- Shorten the level clear music
- Removed fadeout on game over
- Fixed bug where game over isn't going back to main menu on second time
- Added in-game ads
- Link is now (finally) available

Hi @toraleca,

The game has given me very good feelings:  the controls are fast and precise, which is essential in a shooter, the difficulty is progressive and allows us to take control of the first level and the music is perfect for this type of game.

There are only some details that I think can be improved:
- I miss more weapons and aids: Lasers, bombs, shields, ...

- The sound effects are almost not heard by the music volume.

- The "game over" screen dont let me see my end score.

Well done !!

Regards.

Update 25/2/2018:
- Adjusted the sound volume.
- Game over now shows Player last score.
- Gameplay: Increased invincibility delay time upon revival to 2.5s.
- Gameplay: Player aircraft position is now 16px higher from touch position than previous.
- Bug: The game may not show the return menu button on final level clear.

5 hours ago, mazoku said:

Great! The performance is awesome! 

Great, thanks! In what device that you've tested it if I may know?

2 hours ago, onlycape said:

Hi @toraleca,

The game has given me very good feelings:  the controls are fast and precise, which is essential in a shooter, the difficulty is progressive and allows us to take control of the first level and the music is perfect for this type of game.

There are only some details that I think can be improved:
- I miss more weapons and aids: Lasers, bombs, shields, ...

- The sound effects are almost not heard by the music volume.

- The "game over" screen dont let me see my end score.

Well done !!

Regards.

Thanks for the honest and constructive feedback!

• I've reduced the music volume a bit to accommodate the sound effects and increased some sound effects that are deemed necessary. Unfortunately for now, adjustable volume feature for master, music, and fx volume will be coming only to my next games.
  • Game over screen now shows Player's end score.
  • As for the weapons and aids like lasers and shields, and bomb duly noted! :D

• 2 weeks later...

The game is great, classic shoot-em up style and a perfect difficulty curve. Really well made, really enjoyed this. And the performance is brilliant!!!

On 25/02/2018 at 1:53 PM, toraleca said:
  • As for the weapons and aids like lasers and shields, and bomb duly noted! :D

Probably just this as a suggestion, maybe rockets rather than lasers though. 
And perhaps do a little more with the background just for visual effect, clouds, mist or ships, etc. Just to liven it up.

Thanks for the good words guys!

I did plan to put some ambient environments on the sea, such as clouds, and drowned, abandoned buildings on level 2 and 3 to escalate the situation, but I forgot about it! Thanks for reminding me :lol:. My reason to push these back because I have performance issue back when using large images using accelerated Canvas. I forgot I already dropped that for WebGL :lol:. And yes Rockets and shields haha! I do want the big-freaking, mob-wiping laser too!  :D

Adding these gameplay-related things (rockets, lasers, bombs, shields, alternate weapons, etc.) are technically easy, but in terms of game design it can take a while that it might be better if I make a 2nd series if there's interest. This is because such changes require full re-design for almost all levels and waves including enemy hit points (HP), depending on when the Player gets the power ups or shield to keep balancing the difficulty. Meanwhile, the current resource (... me :lol:) are onto the next game. Hopefully after that one is finished. :)

I love all these feedback and suggestions, it encourages me a lot. Will definitely notify if there's anything new! :)

Hey folks just updating. It's just technical and bug stuff due to game engine upgrade and a little announcement.
I'll update the initial thread for the link of the game when it's available, and it will be available to play for free (play, not steal! ?)

Update 19/1/2019
- "New ownership" to chewgako, haha! Apparently I do remember this account. The email has been deleted though, so I'll stick with my new account. ;)
- Upgraded the Cocos engine version from 1.? (already forgot) to 2.1. It's a freaking pain.
- Fixed some background issues due to Cocos engine version incompatibility.
- Fixed boundary screen issue where the ship can go beyond expected boundary on landscape, though the game is designed for only portrait.
- The game can now work on both landscape and portrait, but the screen is default to portrait (it's a vertical shoot 'em up, duh!)
- Changed main menu button font colors to be more visible.
- Edited main menu's decoration cause the previous one looks so pale and flat.
- Fixed the main menu cloud animation loop.
- Fixed bug where one type of enemy ship aren't removed from the game after its wave is ended.
- Fixed boot script error due to Cocos version being incompatible with the old boot file from custom build-templates.

This will be my last post from this account, and the new ones will be followed with the new account.

Cheers!

Link added. Play it here.

Have fun!

Update 23/1/2019
- Shorten the level clear music
- Removed fadeout on game over
- Fixed bug where game over isn't going back to main menu on second time
- Added in-game ads
- Game link is now available

I'll be working on another game now...

001.png

Tested using Chrome on MacOS Mojave.

Very good game, reminded my of some of my favorite arcades. The mouse control gives much more precise and quick movement than other examples I've seen, something that's actually welcome in a fast paced shooter of this type. Gameplay, speed and graphics were very solid. I would agree about the landscape though; by the end of the second level I was really wanting to see an island somewhere out in the ocean.

Overall I'd say it's a really good example and held my attention more than most HTML5 games I've tried.

(Technical note: if someone has an ad-blocker on it will not load at all. I had to disable mine to allow it to play. It might be a good idea to include a notice about that, so that if someone is using ad-block they don't get the mistaken idea that it's broken.)

I'll be looking forward to seeing your next game. Good Luck! ^_^

On 1/28/2019 at 5:42 PM, ShrewdPixel said:

Tested using Chrome on MacOS Mojave.

Very good game, reminded my of some of my favorite arcades. The mouse control gives much more precise and quick movement than other examples I've seen, something that's actually welcome in a fast paced shooter of this type. Gameplay, speed and graphics were very solid. I would agree about the landscape though; by the end of the second level I was really wanting to see an island somewhere out in the ocean.

Overall I'd say it's a really good example and held my attention more than most HTML5 games I've tried.

(Technical note: if someone has an ad-blocker on it will not load at all. I had to disable mine to allow it to play. It might be a good idea to include a notice about that, so that if someone is using ad-block they don't get the mistaken idea that it's broken.)

I'll be looking forward to seeing your next game. Good Luck! ^_^

Thanks @ShrewdPixel for the good words!

For the mouse/touch control I created an inertia for so while it is as if it's instant, but still smooth (basically to avoid teleporting, haha).
I really do want this to be fast-paced, and for my other games as well should have this fast-paced arcade feeling around it. I'm glad it works for this one!

About the background, I think I should confess myself. By the time I make this game my drawing skill was horrendous, so I set the game on the ocean and decided to avoid drawing the ground.
I managed to stay alive drawing the ships, but the background were off the line. Now that I started to study drawing more, I hope I can deliver a much richer visual quality for my next games, promise! *crossing fingers* XD

As for the ad block, good idea! I think I can put the notice on the very first screen. Anyway, thanks for letting me know as well.

Hi guys,

I've been feeling insecure about how this game could be enhanced further. Sooo, I decided to not make a sequel of this game, but instead I want to further polish this game part-time (while doing the board game that I'm currently doing)! \o/
I've taken every feedback here to mind and here's my current to-do list for Dreckon v1.1!

• Create water splashes on boss
  • Draw more bosses
  • Create more hero ship choices (means ship selection option)
  • Create character illustration to personalize each hero ship
  • Create more weapon choices,
  • which will upgrade or modify the difficulty of level 2 and possibly level 3
  • Explicitly show the damage multiplier
  • Add two more levels (level 4 and 5), with crazier difficulty, but more on mechanics rather than more brazing bullets in level 3 (still as crazy or slightly more than level 3, of course. :p)
  • Add richer ambient environment on level 2 and 3 (maybe islands, maybe not ;))
  • Create better effects on enemy and hero's ship destruction, such as falling debris and unique destruction animation
  • Further enhance the menu interface to be more interactive and arcade-like
  • Update game codes to further comply Cocos Creator 2.1+ as it will remove deprecated codes
  • Create early notification for ad-blocker user
  • Gamepad API support

However, I cannot confirm when this update will live (TBA), but at least I've put my eyes on this one. ?

If you think there's anything else I could add, please let me know. Thanks!