claydev

Dreckon - Shoot 'em up game

Introducing my new game! It's a shoot 'em up bullet-hell game designed to run on both mobile and desktop browsers.

Link
Deleted - Thank your for playing before

Art Cover/Screenshot
dreckon_cover_art.thumb.jpg.aa911161ddd103d573f8d6c3dc580d79.jpg

How to Play
Touch (or click) the screen to move the ship and it will also shoot automatically as you hold it. Release to stop from moving and shooting.

Game Description
Defeat all last retreating alien air units on the sea and lead earth to victory!

Features
The game contains of 3 levels; introductory, normal, and difficult level. Each level can be finished around 3 - 6 minutes.
The Player is given a maximum of 3 lives to survive, with a single weapon upgrade to get through the whole levels.
It has a score system, where each defeated enemy can increase the score.
The game has a hidden score multiplier. The multiplier keeps growing based on the number of bullet hit towards the enemy, and reset when the Player got defeated. In short, if you want a higher score, don't die and kill more!

Technical
The game is made using Cocos Creator at 60 fps by default, WebGL only, and designed to run on both mobile and desktop browsers, except UC browser.
It is designed to trap you into a position that you need to discover yourself so you won't die! The game doesn't just blindly throw bullets and enemies all over the place.
The game was developed around 1.5 working months, part-time. All the illustrations, sound effects, and soundtracks are all made by me except the fonts.

That's all thank you! Let me know what you think, and looking forward for your feedback. :)

Update 25/2/2018:
- Adjusted the sound volume
- Game over now shows Player last score
- Gameplay: Increased invincibility time to 2.5s upon revival
- Gameplay: Player aircraft position is now 16px higher from touch position than previous
- Bug: The game may not show the return menu on final level clear.

Hi @toraleca,

The game has given me very good feelings:  the controls are fast and precise, which is essential in a shooter, the difficulty is progressive and allows us to take control of the first level and the music is perfect for this type of game.

There are only some details that I think can be improved:
- I miss more weapons and aids: Lasers, bombs, shields, ...

- The sound effects are almost not heard by the music volume.

- The "game over" screen dont let me see my end score.

Well done !!

Regards.

Update 25/2/2018:
- Adjusted the sound volume.
- Game over now shows Player last score.
- Gameplay: Increased invincibility delay time upon revival to 2.5s.
- Gameplay: Player aircraft position is now 16px higher from touch position than previous.
- Bug: The game may not show the return menu button on final level clear.

5 hours ago, mazoku said:

Great! The performance is awesome! 

Great, thanks! In what device that you've tested it if I may know?

2 hours ago, onlycape said:

Hi @toraleca,

The game has given me very good feelings:  the controls are fast and precise, which is essential in a shooter, the difficulty is progressive and allows us to take control of the first level and the music is perfect for this type of game.

There are only some details that I think can be improved:
- I miss more weapons and aids: Lasers, bombs, shields, ...

- The sound effects are almost not heard by the music volume.

- The "game over" screen dont let me see my end score.

Well done !!

Regards.

Thanks for the honest and constructive feedback!

• I've reduced the music volume a bit to accommodate the sound effects and increased some sound effects that are deemed necessary. Unfortunately for now, adjustable volume feature for master, music, and fx volume will be coming only to my next games.
  • Game over screen now shows Player's end score.
  • As for the weapons and aids like lasers and shields, and bomb duly noted! :D

The game is great, classic shoot-em up style and a perfect difficulty curve. Really well made, really enjoyed this. And the performance is brilliant!!!

On 25/02/2018 at 1:53 PM, toraleca said:
  • As for the weapons and aids like lasers and shields, and bomb duly noted! :D

Probably just this as a suggestion, maybe rockets rather than lasers though. 
And perhaps do a little more with the background just for visual effect, clouds, mist or ships, etc. Just to liven it up.

Thanks for the good words guys!

I did plan to put some ambient environments on the sea, such as clouds, and drowned, abandoned buildings on level 2 and 3 to escalate the situation, but I forgot about it! Thanks for reminding me :lol:. My reason to push these back because I have performance issue back when using large images using accelerated Canvas. I forgot I already dropped that for WebGL :lol:. And yes Rockets and shields haha! I do want the big-freaking, mob-wiping laser too!  :D

Adding these gameplay-related things (rockets, lasers, bombs, shields, alternate weapons, etc.) are technically easy, but in terms of game design it can take a while that it might be better if I make a 2nd series if there's interest. This is because such changes require full re-design for almost all levels and waves including enemy hit points (HP), depending on when the Player gets the power ups or shield to keep balancing the difficulty. Meanwhile, the current resource (... me :lol:) are onto the next game. Hopefully after that one is finished. :)

I love all these feedback and suggestions, it encourages me a lot. Will definitely notify if there's anything new! :)