Connect 3D - A competitive and free to play 3D four in a row game

iflow

Connect 3D - Local Gameplay

Hello there!

I basically just want to present my personal game project and to collect some feedback and ideas. The game is currently in the alpha phase and there might be bugs and problems but I feel confident enough to show it to the public. :) The game is called "Connect 3D" and it is a free to play competitive online browser game, where you have to place four tokens in a row to score. However, the game is not as easy as it sounds because the rows can be build in the three dimensional space.

This GIF shows a local game session but the game can also be played online. You just have to send the link of the session to one of your friends. Currently you need a second person to play since there is no AI or computer enemy to play against.

It works on mobile and on desktops, but you should try it on a modern device and with an up to date browser. There are known problems in Firefox on Windows and on Android. Therefore I recommend to try it in Chrome, Safari or Edge.

You can give it a try for free on the website Connect 3D.

The feedback is very important for me and the development. I really appreciate your feedback!
I plan on implementing much more stuff if the feedback is positive.

Possible next features:

• Personal Profiles and Statistics
  • Level/Rank System (implies profiles)
  • Public Games (join random people and play against them)
  • Tournaments/Competitive Play
  • Computer Opponent (AI)
  • Different Game Modes
  • and many more...

Tell me your opinion and what you would enjoy the most in an upcoming version?
Thank you for your help!

iflow

Absolutely brilliant. A great level of complexity and planning added with the extra dimension. I love it.
Could add a stop on the rotation perhaps? There's no benefit to seeing beneath the board, or perhaps add some kind of surprise under there?

Hey, thanks for the feedback!

I also thought of some kind of easter egg on the bottom of the game board, but currently I am interested more in enhancing the replayability and to get the people to return to this game once in a while.

Hello there!

Currently I am working on a public game feature. :)
It will be released soon!

Here is a video of how to create a public game:

public_create_session.thumb.gif.954f463b74a37523c07da0fdc11b0feb.gif

And here is a video of how to find and to join a public game:

public_join_session.thumb.gif.f1249085bcab71f1cc3c95c3f4455bf8.gif

Have a nice weekend!

iFlow

• 1 year later...

To iFlow

First, congratulations on a job well started!

From the idea of a friend,  I have been conceptualizing a series of 3D games based on Connect 4 for profit.  I am not sure of the proprietary rights of the original developers but that can/will be dealt with when/if needed.  

I have played your game and have one comment (so far) of which you are probably aware.  Either player should be able to place a ball in any open location at any time during the game...start to finish. That is what I have called an "ownership" issue.

I will sign up to help test and offer to send you my concepts (3 white pages, so far) for a series I called "Connect 3D*" with the asterisk. The asterisk is replace with addition letters & numbers to describe in detail a specific game.

Let me know if you are interested in collaborating.

Ed

Hello Mr. Ed,

Thank you very much! Nice to hear that you are interested in the project!

I did never research on possible legal problems but I just realized that there is at least a registered trademark Connect Four, so one probably has to be careful about selling such a game but I do not have much experience in that department. :S

Not sure what you exactly mean with your "ownership issue". If I understand it correctly then I do not have any problem in my implementation since the game is turn-based and only one player is allowed to place a token at a time.

I definitely am interested in your ideas and would love to collaborate and resume development, because I had a great vision about this game and am not nearly close to the goals I had.
The project had no progress for about a year because I did not find many people who were interested in helping and advancing the game. Also, the development alone is a fair amount of work and I currently do not have much time due to my work and university. But let's see if we can find a common denominator! Just send me a private message or answer here with further information.

Best regards,
iflow

Good Thursday morning Iflow,

Good to hear back so quickly in a positive manner!!!

As background, about 2 months ago one of my old shipmates told me that he thought trying to develop a phone ap for a 3D version of Connect-4 would be a neat idea.  I agreed and over the last couple of months laid out some concepts.  He and I have discussed the concepts and then about a week ago he sent me the html5gamedev.com link to Connect3D.  As an after thought, the shipmate said he had a physical  3D Connect-4 game with posts that I have not seen and he cannot find. So that was the source of his idea for an ap.  He just recently found your game on the internet.

I have uploaded my concepts document and hope the idea are of some help but assume they are primitive as I have done no programming. The idea of an "ownership" attribute for each game field square is explained (and I hope understandable).

I am willing to help where I can as I am  very interested in where this will all go. Still think it is a million $ idea, but am not driven by profit.  I have not programmed since I went back for a BS degree in Computer Science and Management in 1984, but certainly could learn and help.

And I am retired and pretty much financially independent, so I have whatever time and funds I choose to dedicate.  Do you accept BitCoin donations? Cyber coins are another of my hobbies.

Would also prefer to go off site for communications if/when you are comfortable and if that does not violated any in-place usage agreements.

Look forward to your response.

Ed

#-D Connect X.docx

Hello again,

I just read your document and it reads like one of my early definitions of the game. :)
The ownership problem you describe is already "solved" in my implementation if  I understand correctly. Otherwise the multiplayer would not work correctly. The game already supports any number of players, any size of the game board and theoretically any number of teams, but currently, there is no user interface for all those features.

I also own such a physical 3D four in a row game and the idea for the software obviously originates from it, but I have many ideas that would not be possible in the physical game and could be very interesting to play.

The most important part of the game, that is currently missing, is a good long term motivation for the players and some opponents to play against. I have some ideas for that but did not find the time and motivation to implement those things. As I already mentioned the biggest obstacle for me is time and it would be necessary to evaluate the current prototype with more players since I did not really do that. I did not collect much feedback and my newsletter list is still very small.

Currently, I do not accept BitCoin donations. I'll write you a private message for further information and direct communication.

If anyone else is interested in this conversation or wants to help the project, feel free to join here.

iflow