kraftwer1

Why this random drop of FPS in Chrome?

I've noticed random drops of FPS in Chrome during a simple movement of a simple sphere. So I made a profile and the drop is clearly visible (suddenly down at 27 FPS). However, I have no idea what caused this to happen. There is nothing unusual to me within this profile.

What can I do to dig deeper and eventually solve this problem?

I doubt that it this is related with Babylon.js itself nor with my code... It's probably a Chrome issue - and it doesn't happen in Safari.

Bildschirmfoto 2018-03-11 um 17.06.24.png

On 3/11/2018 at 5:22 PM, Kaffesumpen said:

That's a big drop in frame rates, no real idea why that would happen in Chrome. But I look forward to if anyone knows.
Is it a one time occurrence or is it a stable drop every set interval?

It's happening every 1s - 5s, sometimes constantly, sometimes not.

On 3/13/2018 at 1:03 AM, Deltakosh said:

Do you repro on other computers?

Good point - turns out that it is my second monitor (I'm working on a MBP with the lid closed)! It works much better on my laptop screen.
But still I can't explain why this is happening only on Google Chrome... It runs perfectly smooth on Safari. The behavior on Firefox is even stranger: It lags during the first 3s-5s and then turns into perfect smoothness...

1 hour ago, jerome said:

could you provide a repro in the PG please ?

Here: https://playground.babylonjs.com/indexStable.html#LUJ2IG#8 (code is a bit hacky as I copy-pasted only the important parts from an existing project).

I've also tried to record it using QuickTime, but I couldn't get it to work fully representative with 60fps screen recording...

Edit
I've just played around with the canvas height/width styling a bit and it seems to have an impact on fps... could this be an issue? Here's a version without that's running much faster: https://playground.babylonjs.com/indexStable.html#LUJ2IG#6 

canvas.style.width = "100vw";
canvas.style.height = "100vw";