Crypt Of Nightmares - The Haunted Ruins

rothers

Hello, I've been working on this on and off for years. Intended to be free to enjoy for everyone. No adverts/spam etc.

This is the first version I've been happy with for a while, feedback appreciated. Bugs or issues I've missed please let me know!

http://boozegames.com/wizzley/wizzley.html

Not sure how robust my host is, it's 15MB. Oh CHROME ONLY AFAIK, I'll deal with the little errors in firefox etc. once I know everything is good with the game itself.

It's in the style of the Dizzy (etc.) games with added gore and weapons. If you want to use a controller like the Steam controller just 'redefine keys'.

Default keys are: Space jump, Arrow keys move, Z = 'inventory', X = fire. Number keys can also access inventory/change weapons.

Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 16.29.07.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 16.29.51.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 16.30.50.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 16.31.45.png

I've just finished playing through the Prologue and reached "Broken Henge", this game is amazing! Really high quality and the story has captured me from the start, I can't really put my finger on it but I'm simply intrigued to see what happens next. I also love how you've embedded it in an old monitor image. Unfortunately, once I was done talking to the soldier waiting for me in "Broken Henge", the game crashed due to the following error:

Uncaught ReferenceError: longvolume is not defined
    at soundzoneadjust (wizzley.js:206)
    at rungame (wizzley.js:5918)
    at draw (wizzley.js:14798)

It happened after I talked to him the last time and he simply answered with "Crying" in his message box. Then the message box closed and the game froze, throwing the error above hundreds of times.

Interesting, what browser and set up? I'm using extensive audio tricks which it seems some browsers don't quite support yet which I didn't know :(

Wondering if it's gain.value which might work differently in some browsers.

I've tried a hack of just making longvolume window.longvolume... usually solves these issues.

17 hours ago, rothers said:

Interesting, what browser and set up?

First I was playing in Chrome Version 64.0.3282.186 (Official Build) (64-bit). I've checked my version and there was an update available, now I'm on Version 65.0.3325.162 (Official Build) (64-bit). I tried the game again but still get the same error after talking to the knight. Luckily, it seems I can just skip him to continue the game :D

3 hours ago, jamespierce said:

First I was playing in Chrome Version 64.0.3282.186 (Official Build) (64-bit). I've checked my version and there was an update available, now I'm on Version 65.0.3325.162 (Official Build) (64-bit). I tried the game again but still get the same error after talking to the knight. Luckily, it seems I can just skip him to continue the game :D

*EDIT* Could you try it again, I've literally added some code to say if for some reason longvolume can't be defined to ignore the code around it. I'd be curious to know what happens. Remember to properly reload the page (dev mode).

---

That's so weird, I have the same Chrome and it works fine. What OS? I'll try to replicate it.

You will be able to continue in the game until almost the end where the sound panning is used again for fire.

I'm going to try to fix it. It's a weird one.

Simply amazing !!. The game has captivated me from start to finish. Although my judgment is a little clouded by melancholy to see that "Amiga 500" (I was a poor user of "ZX Spectrum" :D).

I just had a problem with the sound: just after losing and after repeatedly pressing the "x" key (yes, I was impatient :lol:), the title's sound effect was repeated several times.

Congratulations for the game.

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it. The second and third parts are 90% done I just needed to make sure the engine worked on everything before pushing out the other two chapters.

Seems the main issues are sound which is probably because I coded most of it from scratch a few years ago before the latest standards were locked down.

I shall try to replicate the repeating sound.

Oh and I did throw in some ZX Spectrum references later in the game :)