HTML5 export of Unity flappy bird is 714KB?

PixelPicoSean

1 hour ago, PixelPicoSean said:

That 72K is not size of the "core", but a complete flappy bird game. So the package already includes 2D and sound support at least, which is already usable for me. The only thing is to find how to integrate JavaScript SDKs.

Duh, it's the size of the core.

Read their blog. They actually say 73K.

For web-based deployment, the file size for our compressed core runtime is 73KB

10 hours ago, PixelPicoSean said:

Just watched the keynote of Unity on GDC, they said the HTML5 export of flappy bird game made with Unity is 72K, how is it possible?

just watched the keynote and I am kinda exited, I always loved the Unity platform but hated there giant builds. 

For anyone interested 

Did I blink and miss the detail where they explained how the 2.6MB game got shrunk to 714KB? (~1h39m)?

72KB of core engine is certainly possible if the scene graph and interaction listeners are sufficiently basic and ommit WebGL, Audio, non-used helpers etc.  But the same would be true of a Non-Unity approach so this isn't an apples to apples comparison.  The potential of tooling that can make smart build decisions and provide a wonderful IDE is great news for lite gaming, but Unity please show some detail rather than misleading stats.

They did not explain it at all, but 714KB is acceptable right? 72KB of core might be possible, but to my experience of compiling C++ code into wasm, a fully functional game with WebGL and audio(also includes some cross platform code and framework such like IMGUI) starts from 500KB gzipped or 1100KB uncompressed. 100KB if only use WebGL with nothing else. In my case I don't use STL at all which increases final size significantly. Which means even containers like string, vector and map are my hand coded version. And that is hand written optimized C++ code. As far as I know, it's only possible to use C instead of C++ to reduce the size of generated asm.js/wasm code. Unity's C# to C++ cannot do that much optimize, especially for its huge code base. A friend of mine told me that Unity uses gzip to compress everything and uncompress them at the runtime, maybe there's some black magic.

I'm not sure if their playable-ad car demo was wasm oriented - hence the comments about canvas, broad support and cold starts (all valid).  If they have now bundled a "lite 2d" subset that zips down to 72KB and includes data-driven behaviors and basic scene graph then that's new and interesting - but 714KB is actually quite bloated for what was shown, and we didn't see a file size for the second puzzler demo that included animations and audio.  Keynote claims aside I expect Unity will be a valid mobile browser game dev option soon enough, and given its other benefits that likely warrants further investigation ...

6 hours ago, b10b said:

I'm not sure if their playable-ad car demo was wasm oriented - hence the comments about canvas, broad support and cold starts (all valid).  If they have now bundled a "lite 2d" subset that zips down to 72KB and includes data-driven behaviors and basic scene graph then that's new and interesting - but 714KB is actually quite bloated for what was shown, and we didn't see a file size for the second puzzler demo that included animations and audio.  Keynote claims aside I expect Unity will be a valid mobile browser game dev option soon enough, and given its other benefits that likely warrants further investigation ...

10KB code 72KB core and the rest was game assets so I would assume the bloated part is something the dev will control.