The built up scene in babylon keeps refershing the page on an ipad .

mfprogrammer

Hi Guys, 
The scene that I have built, makes the page refresh every now and then on any iPad safari or chrome.

On an iPad Air 2, it keeps refreshing itself every now and then.

On an iPad pro, it loads, but the moment I use the camera view to look around it dies and refreshes.

I am starting to think that this is something to d with the speed/memory on the iPad and the amount it can handle when the camera turns and the processing begins.

I have tried debugging it on the iPad by connecting it to a Mac on safari. But as soon as the refresh happens, the dev tools disappear and also, I see no errors there before it refreshes.

If I am right, how do I work towards making it lighter for iPads and if I am wrong, what should be my approach?

ipad.png

8 hours ago, Deltakosh said:

Capture.PNG

This is really weird. This is a server on which it was 6 months ago. I also tried viewing the site with a proxy from US, I am able to see the site. Could you please try flushing your DNS and trying once OR try on a different network.

Thanks.

@aWeirdo ,  have tried that too. it still refreshes the page with nothing being caught. The web inspector just closes down when the page refreshes itself. hence, leaving me no way to figure out what is going on. A preserve log does not work either.  Also, are you able to see the site? Or you see what Deltakosh sees?

@Deltakosh , were you able to view the site? 

Hi @Deltakosh

It took some time, but I have set up the system on a new server.

Here is the link. http://206.189.98.14/configurator/index.php?projid=%BA3%99%84%DC%02%C1%E5#scene/houses/772/vpoints/view/1842/
This should lead you to a page like in the image attached. If it does not, it could be that your firewall is blocking the port 8080 that I am using. That serves the meshes etc to the system.

On an ipad Air 2, it keeps repeatedly refreshing
On an iPad Pro, it refreshes when you try to move around in the scene. You can touch and slide/scroll, it will allow you to scroll on any built screen.

I hope you are able to see this. Fingers crossed ?

for deltakosh.png

The scene seems to consume a lot of ram (1GB on my edge browser here). this could be the problem.

Also I'm seeing some errors on the console.

Does it work with a smaller scene?

The iPhone has a pretty good GPU for sure

You need to try to reduce texture size and perhaps reuse material as much as you can to reduce memory footprint

Thanks for your input.
I cannot reduce texture size since I need the clarity on the desktops. I will also see how to reuse the materials as much as I can.

A downgrade in textures would mean an overall downgrade in the quality on all screens. Can we use this http://doc.babylonjs.com/how_to/how_to_use_sceneoptimizer on the iPad and smaller devices?
Also, I tried to use it, I see that the Optimizer is being called, but it does not optimize anything really. Whereas, when I switch on the debug and hit the 'Run optimizer' button, it works really great and downgrades the quality. 

Thanks

Then you should just pick the code behin "Run optimizer" and use it directly

You can also think about having 2 quality levels: one for desktop and one for mobile.

Also I suggest trying to call engine.setHardwareScalingLevel(2) on mobiles to reduce resolution and thus memory footprint

@Deltakosh: The scaling worked like a charm and I now have 2 versions running for a tab and a desktop. Thanks a ton for your help.

I also tried optimizing. I used it with the callback method. I see it optimizing but I do not see any difference in the scene. 
What is the difference between scaling and optimizer? Cause the "rum optimizer" in the debug and the scaling give same results in the UI.

Thanks.

Optimizer will do the Scaling plus other tasks. Based on your scene you may not see a big difference if other tasks are touching options not used in your scene