Blender exporter - No settings?

Puck

I downloaded the latest blender exporter for Babylon (currently 5.6.2), but I noticed that when I try to export there are no options for the exporter. See here:

image.png.635ba22a0756304f7487548f687fb349.png

I tried with blender versions 2.79 and 2.80, and while the exporter does work in 2.79 I can only export with the default options. I've always hated Python so I'm not clear exactly what's happening, but I did notice that if I combine the contents of the JsonMain and ExportSettingsPanel classes I do see the options panel as intended. Does anyone know what's going wrong here?

While one person has said this was a 'stupid place nobody goes to', the exporter options are displayed on the scene properties tab.  That person are wrong.

The advantage of locating it there is to be able to store your settings in the blend file without exporting it, so as you change things all your settings are preserved.  You might have tried to find just how little precision was required to get the smallest .babylon without compromising display.  3 months later when you need to tweak the geometry, the precision values are saved.

It is possible to save things from the place where exporters display by default, but you have to both export then Save.  You might not want to save AFTER you just exported.  Pro tip:  If you merge meshes which have shape keys of the same name, those keys are also merged.  In the case of MakeHuman, different parts of the face (body, teeth, tongue, eye, eye brows, & eye lashes) are all separate meshes.  Being separate in the .blend file can be desirable for work flow, but merged on export makes life so much easier in BJS.  Not a problem when the export controls are saved separate from the export itself.

Your argument makes sense, but it's in opposition to how every other Blender exporter in existence works so it might help to be very explicit about that in the documentation here: http://doc.babylonjs.com/resources/blender

Rereading it now knowing where to find the settings I understand how it's written, but it wasn't clear to me that the settings are part of the panels where the equivalent settings are explained. Regardless thank you for your work and your answer!

We have not in general had a problem of people with Blender experience coming to BJS.  BJS is bringing people to Blender.  What might be better than documentation in this instance, is to just have a couple labels in the standard location pointing to the spot.  Maybe:

See Scene Properties
For Savable Exporter
Properities.

This should easily cover Blender people going to BJS.

• 1 year later...

Hi there,

I'm starting to learn Babylon.js, and I have some difficulties working with various Blender to Babylon exporter. I first tried the glTF, but it seems to be PBR-centric and I will mostly use less realistic rendering, like cartoon/comic/anime-style/old-school 3D, etc... Now I'm trying to use the Babylon exporter but there are few things I don't know how to configure.

I'm not a Blender guru, I mainly use it for creating small models and UV-map, but there are some menu that the exporter documentation speak of that are nowhere to be found (I'm using Blender v2.81a and Babylon exporter v6.2.4).

My main problem with this exporter is that the coordinate system is completely wrong. Instead of using the world coordinate (like the glTF exporter does), it seems to use the local (object) coordinate. Moreover if the object has Euler rotation, Babylon seems to apply them in the wrong order (it does not export the Euler order from Blender), as a result some models have completely wrong orientation that are not easy to reverse.

How to force the exporter to use world coordinate (like the glTF exporter does), and always have object loads without any translation/rotation?

EDIT: I'm posting this question on the official forum now.

Edited by cronvel
Found the answer on the official Babylon forum