Lamps on Babylon / Open Contest!

Rodrix3

On 6/21/2018 at 2:56 PM, Pryme8 said:

https://www.babylonjs-playground.com/#MU17PR#72
Ok Challenge time, I would like to see how others would handle the shadows and optimization for this. Cause I have to get on to other things now...

As the OP I hereby declare @Pryme8 FIRST PLACE WINNER of the Lamp Babylon Open Content in terms of:

• Creating a realistic dynamic model even with custom shader material and even covering all parts of the lamp
  • Going beyond the instructions and creating a complete procedural lamp model (WOW!)
  • I really believe you impressed everyone here!!!!

AMAZING JOB  @Pryme8!!!!! :D This will be really helpful for all learners!

'-|:.     |-'
              \::.    /
               '::. .'
                 ) (
               _.' '._
              `"""""""`

I definitely think his work should be added to Babylon's demos homepage.

HOWEVER, this contest and challenge is still open.

@Pryme8 has been declared WINNER on the a) DYNAMIC LIGHTNING category; but there is still no winner for the b) STATIC LIGHTNING (BAKED) category.
The rules of the second category is to be able to produce the most photo realistic result by adding pre-baked textures 

And also I would like to remind all that there is an additional open CHALLENGE posted by Pryme8:  https://www.babylonjs-playground.com/#MU17PR#72
==> "I would like to see how others would handle the shadows and optimization for this. "

====> OPEN CHALLENGE: Optimize Pryme8's work to optimize shadows.

Regarding the second category (Static lightning), I am not sure how much room for improvement there is given  what Pryme8 created. But I am still willing to investigate... @V!nc3r any ideas? And @dbawel, I got it about RGBA, but I am willing to dig further. I am familiar with that but how is your technique used given the illustration I provided?

Thanks everyone for participating on this thread. I am really happy to be part of this lovely community, it has been lots of fun (and I am learning a lot too).
But the game is not over! ;)

Thank you for your kind words!  I claim no credit for any of it though, if it was not for the amazing tools this community put together that would of been a huge headache...  The real shout out goes to people who contributed to the library and the documentation.

I ❤️ BJS!

@rodrix

If you're referring to using my post on textures and alpha channels, then it's basically baking/creating the lighting/shadowing using textures. This can be very dynamic, as you can change the position, scaling, and orientation as the lamp or other objects move around in the scene. Often the key is to create duplicate objects and parent them to whatever you need. As for a ground plane, this would be the simplest example. This is an old trick we used to use for film production when rendering ray-traced shadows on an SGI Onyx, Challenge, or Cray linked Origins require up to an hour or more per frame using Renderman or Mental Ray.

DB

• 1 month later...
On 8/25/2018 at 6:47 AM, V!nc3r said:

Just to let you know, I'm still on my tutorial. I'm... just... too... slow to write it ?️‍♀️

Here a first draft if you want take a look (click):

thumbnail.jpg

For now, my tut is about Standard Material workflow. Once done, I will make a PBR version.

AMAZING @V!nc3r ! Thanks so much for putting so much time into this Vince, very looking forward to the tutorial :)

• 1 month later...