Error loading Maya plug-in on Windows

Radix

Hi, I'm trying to load the Maya Exporter plug-in in Maya LT 2018 on Windows 10 (and I also tried it with Maya 2018). Each time I get this error:

// Error: file: C:/Program Files/Autodesk/MayaLT2018/scripts/others/pluginWin.mel line 290: .NET plug-ins can only be loaded on Microsoft Windows. // 
// Error: file: C:/Program Files/Autodesk/MayaLT2018/scripts/others/pluginWin.mel line 290:  (Maya2Babylon.nll) // 

I used the Maya2Babylon-1.1.8 version from Github.

I'm on a Windows machine, so the error message doesn't make much sense. Has anyone else run across this problem?

Thanks!

On 6/5/2018 at 9:31 PM, Deltakosh said:

It should not work on Maya LT as (I was told that) it does not support plugins

But it should work on Maya 2018

Ha, good point! I thought Maya LT could handle plug-ins because it has a plug-ins folder -- but it only accepts predefined ones.

I have access tO the full version of Maya 2018 too,.so I tried the most recent version of the Maya2Babylon Exporter 1.1.9 there, and got a different error:

// Error: file: C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2018/scripts/others/pluginWin.mel line 290: Invoking ExecuteInDefaultAppDomain() failed. // 
// Error: file: C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2018/scripts/others/pluginWin.mel line 290:  (Maya2Babylon.nll) // 

Has anyone else seen this before? Thanks!

2 hours ago, noalak said:

Hi Radix,

Where are the exporter dlls on your computer ? Inside C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2018/bin/plug-ins ?

Have you tried to follow Maya guidelines on how to install a plug-in ?

Thanks for your message. Yes I tried it following those guidelines from Autodesk (putting the dlls into a .../Documents/maya/2018/plug-ins folder) and I also tried just dropping them directly into C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2018/bin/plug-ins . 

I got the same error message both times.

• 1 month later...

I also am having the same installation problem with Maya2Babylon 1.2.12

Maya 2018.3

Windows 7

// Error: file: C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2018/scripts/others/pluginWin.mel line 290: Invoking ExecuteInDefaultAppDomain() failed. //
// Error: file: C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2018/scripts/others/pluginWin.mel line 290:  (Maya2Babylon.nll) //

On 6/5/2018 at 9:31 PM, Deltakosh said:

It should not work on Maya LT as (I was told that) it does not support plugins

But it should work on Maya 2018

I haven't been able to use the exporter with Maya LT. I found so many limitations using Maya LT on production eval, that we abandoned it altogether at Sony Electronics. I'm not exactly sure why Autodesk released Maya LT, as it's limitations provide barely minimal features given my personal experience. I've no problems other than known limitations using Maya 2018.

DB

• 6 months later...

Hi, I'm circling back on this one, since I haven't seen a solution posted yet (seems like people were unable to recreate the problem). I'm still getting it though, with the latest version of Maya2Babylon ( 1.2.28 ) and a fresh copy of Maya 2018. After installing the plug-in, running Maya, and then clicking the "Loaded" checkbox for Maya2Babylon.nll.dll in the plug-ins window, this error appears:

// Error: file: C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2018/scripts/others/pluginWin.mel line 290:  (Maya2Babylon.nll) // 

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. Thanks!

Asked, and answered. The next thing I tried worked. It looks like it's an issue with .NET Code Access Security (CAS) policy. Here's a post on Autodesk's forum with a workaround: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/maya-programming/odd-net-plugin-behaviour/td-p/8129246

The workaround is to create a config file named maya.exe.config in the maya/bin folder. The file should contain:

<configuration>  
   <runtime>  
      <loadFromRemoteSources enabled="true"/>  
   </runtime>  
</configuration>

After I did this, and restarted Maya, I was finally able to load the Maya2Babylon plug-in.

...and now I suppose I'd better be careful about loading any untrusted plug-ins in the future.

Just posting this in case it can help anyone else.