[Phaser] Mafia Pool Tricks

enriqueto

Looks promising, very nice graphics, music and gameplay.

When playing in firefox against the first boss, I got a warning from firefox saying some script is slowing down the page. Maybe something you have when the opponent is thinking.

2 hours ago, bruno_ said:

Looks promising, very nice graphics, music and gameplay.

When playing in firefox against the first boss, I got a warning from firefox saying some script is slowing down the page. Maybe something you have when the opponent is thinking.

Thanks for the compliments, I'll forward them to the guy who coded the game.

AI calculations are quite intensive. I'll check the game with firefox.

@enriqueto I enjoyed this (solid feel of the ball was very satisfying) and played several opponents before encountering an issue with black-select-pocket and rage quit.  My main comment would also be about the "Thinking..." delay.  It was strange that the opponent thought for so long and then made such a poor shot.  I understand the need to assess and compare multiple outcomes for advanced level NPC but perhaps a random shot (decided instantly) would be just as poor, but a whole lot faster, for the lower level NPC?

3 minutes ago, b10b said:

@enriqueto I enjoyed this (solid feel of the ball was very satisfying) and played several opponents before encountering an issue with black-select-pocket and rage quit.  My main comment would also be about the "Thinking..." delay.  It was strange that the opponent thought for so long and then made such a poor shot.  I understand the need to assess and compare multiple outcomes for advanced level NPC but perhaps a random shot (decided instantly) would be just as poor, but a whole lot faster, for the lower level NPC?

You are right, I didn't invest much time on that. I quickly tried before with a pure random shot but the whole thing is not that easy because the result needs to look natural. An algorithm that selects the best ball and pocket using randomness in the shot would look better. I'll do it for the next game I'm coding and I'll update this.

On 6/19/2018 at 11:18 PM, b10b said:

Hi there, b10b. Mafia BT coder here.

Thanks very much for your feedback. Would you mind giving a bit more info about the issue with black-select-pocket? Was it gameplay related, or did the game crash?

@pietf a few issues with the black pocket if I recall correctly.  First, minor one, was the selection ring can visually obscure detail of importance?  Second was the selection mechanism ... I'm on the black, I'm asked to pick a pocket, I click, then there's a delay or similar so input is unsure it's selected, maybe I clicked again (on the pocket?), but that click registers as a "shot", with no power, so I miss the cue ball ... foul on black / lose the game / insulted by an NPC / cry and quit.  Unsure about what caused the selection glitch, but maybe add a "fuse" on the shot setup, so if released < 500ms then disregard shot?  But - more importantly - what a great feeling game thanks to some very smart choices on ball dynamics and aesthetics!

15 hours ago, b10b said:

@pietf a few issues with the black pocket if I recall correctly.  First, minor one, was the selection ring can visually obscure detail of importance?  Second was the selection mechanism ... I'm on the black, I'm asked to pick a pocket, I click, then there's a delay or similar so input is unsure it's selected, maybe I clicked again (on the pocket?), but that click registers as a "shot", with no power, so I miss the cue ball ... foul on black / lose the game / insulted by an NPC / cry and quit.  Unsure about what caused the selection glitch, but maybe add a "fuse" on the shot setup, so if released < 500ms then disregard shot?  But - more importantly - what a great feeling game thanks to some very smart choices on ball dynamics and aesthetics!

Such useful feedback! Thanks a lot!

• 2 months later...
On 9/8/2018 at 7:25 AM, Pavel Mishin said:

Hi, very interesting, how did you made so smooth 2d ball animations? Is it "standard" phaser animation based on spritesheet? How many frames should be in such spritesheet?

You could just transform a texture on the fly (without using a 3d engine or WebGL). I played around with that a while back. See here. Use the cursor keys to move the ball, and press X for aXes.
The original Java code I based this on is here.