TYPESCRIPT in Playground

NasimiAsl

On 7/14/2018 at 12:07 AM, brianzinn said:

I have been coding nearly 3 years almost entirely in TypeScript, so am biased.  Once a project reaches a certain size, I feel that JS slows me down a lot.

I do agree that there is perhaps not a lot gained in TS playgrounds as they are essentially snippets and I feel that TS doesn't really shine until a project is medium sized.  At the same time I feel this is a REALLY great addition, so thank-you @NasimiAsl - I would really like at some point to post my BabylonJS TypeScript code that does not compile without some trickery (ie: try converting http://www.babylonjs-playground.com/#1K0NSN#1) - and now we finally have a way to share!!  This was not possible before in a PG, so there is something tangible gained by TS playgrounds.

Why not let people choose making playgrounds where they are comfortable and happy --- providing the opportunity for both seems like the right thing.  I have a feeling anybody hanging out in the forum will learn TypeScript by osmosis, so that's a good thing too!!

Also, the TypeScript playground is missing examples, so maybe that's a good teaching tool as well to see the same examples side-by-side.

I hope not a disaster!  You will find that it's really trivial to convert from TS to JS - just remove some syntactic sugar from variable/function/argument declarations.  TS is just a superset of JS with optional typings :)

On 7/14/2018 at 1:35 AM, NasimiAsl said:

ts vs js why we need think about it we support Both better than support just js or just ts 

On 7/14/2018 at 6:27 AM, Dad72 said:

I do not like TS programming, I prefer JS directly by using ES6 with "class". I find the JS ES6 programming clearer and more interesting, even for big projects. TS for the big projects is a perfect illusion.

I do not even want to learn TS, if I have to learn a compiler language I'm going to C#, Java, C ++. I choose programming on the internet to avoid compiling language, so TS does not interest me at all.

After, I understand that some people feel more comfortable with this language compiled. But remember that this is not the case for everyone. When I search for a game engine, I search for a engine written in JS, not TS. Babylon is for JS.

Oh and Babylon exists also in C# (whith XNA) for those interested, you have a real language compiled. I have always seen TS as a necessary language compile useless. Javascript ES6 is better now for big project. 

It remains that my point of view, I know that some people will not agree and say that TS is great, but do not denigrate the javascript for as much. Babylon was originally written in Javascript for the sake of Javascript.

I'm not against TS but do not incite the peoples to learn TS because you find it better. There is no language "better "and the JS ES6 is interesting enough for development on the internet.

1:typescript users: "You will all learn our ways of peace.   By force if we have to!"   :) 

2:javascript users: "But like the old ways, I don't want to learn this newbie language."  

3:javascript users: "It will confuse the young coders" 

1: Everyone can use whatever they want ts or js (no, python is not a real language).  :) 

2:Dont learn it.  If you want to help a ts user out though go ahead and learn it.  

3: I was a noob I learned javascript accidentally but was essentially forced into type script, which in the end has worked out well.  I don't think this division will actually impact the ones who actually care as learning typescript and javascript take maybe a day(basics not pro), then they can understand everyone, but if their specific problem is in one or the other it can be solved.

Also if enough users have asked for it, it only makes sense to add it.

Do not be aggressive DylanD. I think the debate is over and you revive it aggressively, why. do you have a lack of actions? A debate can do this in a calm talks, no need to be aggressive by quoting everyone

You love you TS, congratulations, end of the discussions. The playground can use TS and JS, everyone will use what they want and we will see the future.

14 minutes ago, Dad72 said:

Do not be aggressive DylanD. I think the debate is over and you revive it aggressively, why. do you have a lack of actions? A debate can do this in a calm talks, no need to be aggressive by quoting everyone

You love you TS, congratulations, end of the discussions. The playground can use TS and JS, everyone will use what they want and we will see the future.

you're right, I wasn't really thinking, just, forget about it. 

Sorry