C̶o̶l̶l̶i̶s̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶/̶ ̶g̶i̶z̶m̶o̶ Snapping

babbleon

Oh man, that's a beauty!  Nice!  (hi-5)  I have about 10 pipes... mostly Grabow apple-ish bowls (Dukes) with straight stems... filter pipes.  A couple of...um... Savellini's? too... originally for balsa filters... for which I short-cut standard filters to fit. 

Exclusively MacBarens tobacco (Denmark)... aromatic blends (girly flavors)... no Perique or Latakia crap... but I'll occasionally run some "leftist" stuff... mostly MacB "Black Ambrosia" cavendish-like stuff, or some Navy Flake.  Use to LOVE MacB "Highland Mixture" but it was a limited run and it went away. 

1/10 the price of cigs, 3 times the delicious flavor, but a bit more maintenance and lighter usage.  :)

Love it!  So cool!  No wonder we became good acquaintances so easily.

Babs is probably saying "Oh no, my two collaborators are on a man-crush tangent."  :)

@Arte  Stick-in-the-mud work-a-holic, you.  :) See, we even got Babs onto the smoking subject.  heh.

On 7/11/2018 at 10:42 AM, babbleon said:

Are a disproportionate number of Babylon users, smokers?

My guess is no.  Most of them are heroin users, though.  hah.  (just kidding, of course).  But, perhaps... code-starers... always need SOME kind of vice.  Doritoes got a reputation for being the coder's "junk" for a while, in US history.  Ranch flavored.  :)  Nerd fuel. 

Oh yeah, I guess we should get back to snaps.  :D 

@babbleon

It really looks good. ?

I'm just wondering why do you need shift-click? Why not: click box1 -> click box2 -> click source point -> click destination point.

Everything depends of you needs. 

1 hour ago, Wingnut said:

Exclusively MacBarens tobacco (Denmark)... aromatic blends (girly flavors)... no Perique or Latakia crap...

"Black Ambrosia" Yummyyyyyyyyyyyyy. But I can smell vanilla and black cherry from my 5 pipe's... Ok I need to go for about 15-20min :D ...Yummyyyyyyyyyyyyy...yyy..

hey - just overhearing some chatter about snapping from the non-smoking section. my vices are buckets of coffee and chocolate.

Maybe it's just a pipe dream, but I was thinking it would be really cool to have the PointerDragBehavior have additional behaviors wherein it would only be allowed to drop on certain grid points., or a list of meshes that it cannot collide with (on collision it could have an effect like glow on the other mesh perhaps).  All done with observables like onMeshIntersectStart(mesh), onMeshIntersectEnd(mesh).
http://doc.babylonjs.com/how_to/meshbehavior#pointerdragbehavior
We have onDragEndObservable to do validations, but ideally I would like to know which direction the mesh was dragged in from (drag history) to undo a collision. I don't see how to chain these behaviors together, but I really want to add this to make my 3D level builder more usable!  I've been lurking on this thread waiting for a genius playground to copy!! :)

Wonderful, @Arte!

Some suggestions (these are only what I would add, I don't have any time right now):

• When you hover over source mesh, it should show all available snapping points. Once you choose source snap point it highlights it or removes all others, and then destination mesh shows all available snapping points.
  • Double click on destination requires you to input an offset.
  • Eye candy - the source mesh could animate quickly to destination point:
var ease = new BABYLON.CircleEase();
ease.setEasingMode(BABYLON.EasingFunction.EASINGMODE_EASEINOUT);
BABYLON.Animation.CreateAndStartAnimation('MeshAnim', mesh, 'position', 30, 30, currentPos, newPos, 1.0, ease);

Really well done.