Panda2 Editor: Editing/Adding Assets

Wolfsbane

39 minutes ago, pstrejczek said:

There is one thing in the editor I would love to have. Maybe @enpu - you could consider this for the next version. When I write code, I like to look at the code of the templates or the code from my previous pet projects. I would love to be able to open more than one instance of the Panda2 editor - which is not possible (at least on Mac). I'm using VSCode at the moment to open the main.js file but it it is harder to navigate than in Panda 2 editor.

I have to take a look on this. Having multiple instances of the editor can get quite complicated, since that would mean that there would be multiple web servers running etc. But i will take a look and see what i can do about this.

Since the next version allows you to edit any files in your project, one way would be to copy a JavaScript file to your project folder and then use that as a reference file. That way you could just jump between two files (maybe add keyboard shortcut for that?), the one that you are editing and another that you use as a reference.

I just mean from within the editor (here).

I normally create a project with a random name when I'm just experimenting, then, as the project expands I rename it appropriately.

(I assume I can just go file explorer+rename). This is not a bug, just a UI niggle to note. Maybe this is not the appropriate place to post this kind of thing?

image.png.fab40ba053e5a9bf2828935d1987a9a9.png

29 minutes ago, enpu said:

I have to take a look on this. Having multiple instances of the editor can get quite complicated, since that would mean that there would be multiple web servers running etc. But i will take a look and see what i can do about this.

Since the next version allows you to edit any files in your project, one way would be to copy a JavaScript file to your project folder and then use that as a reference file. That way you could just jump between two files (maybe add keyboard shortcut for that?), the one that you are editing and another that you use as a reference.

Yes. copying the file to the project folder and being able to open it in Panda editor is great - it will help a lot.

I understand that multi-instance could be a problem. If it is a lot of work - I think it would be better to leave it the way it is now. I'm not sure if it would be beneficial for anybody more than me so it's better to focus on more important features :) 

Reading @pstrejczek post got me thinking about what I do a lot, which is flipping between the examples, API docs, engine code, other projects to find snippets, bits of info and so on.  I'm not sure what the best solution is but looks like we all do it one way or another!  @enpu Does Panda2 support TypeScript at all?

I have an idea that should be pretty easy to implement. What if you could open projects "as a reference" from the projects list, which would just open new window in Panda 2 that contains just the code editor, where you could open and view all the files from that specific project.

That way you could have your main project open, as well as any number of projects "as a reference" on it's own windows, all inside Panda 2.

Also you could open API documentation as a new window inside the editor, like this:

315783110_ScreenShot2018-07-12at17_21_27.thumb.png.ae049e3f1384ac67383950fe04b1019e.png

1 hour ago, enpu said:

I have an idea that should be pretty easy to implement. What if you could open projects "as a reference" from the projects list, which would just open new window in Panda 2 that contains just the code editor, where you could open and view all the files from that specific project.

That way you could have your main project open, as well as any number of projects "as a reference" on it's own windows, all inside Panda 2.

Also you could open API documentation as a new window inside the editor, like this:

315783110_ScreenShot2018-07-12at17_21_27.thumb.png.ae049e3f1384ac67383950fe04b1019e.png

Sounds good, as long as you could quickly flip around things it would be a really useful addition.

1 hour ago, enpu said:

@8bitdna And no Panda 2 does not support TypeScript. Afaik it requires compiling before browser can run it. That would just add another task in the workflow, which i'm trying to keep as fast as possible.

@enpu Ah, ok.  I was asking as TypeScript is easier to offer smart auto completion, code hinting and inline docs which would help get a quick bit of knowledge on something instead of hunting off for it.  Understand what your saying regarding the compilation though.

Taking a whole big step back I quite often look at the API docs but don't find the info I want a lot of things are blank or have placeholder type comment and not explained in full.  I then go off to look at the examples or engine source code to learn about a feature which can take some time.

Fleshing out the API docs with more little examples inline would be a great addition IMO.  What would also be really useful is a proper 'guide' to Panda2.  I like having concepts explained so I know why I might use a certain approach over another and find it sticks better for me in my head, it might just be me!

4 hours ago, enpu said:

@enpu - I vote with both my hands for those features. If it would  be easy to switch between those windows it will be super awesome. Those are the features which are missing in many code editors.

10 hours ago, pstrejczek said:

@enpu - I vote with both my hands for those features. If it would  be easy to switch between those windows it will be super awesome. Those are the features which are missing in many code editors.

Yeah there will be "Next window" command in the Window menu with keyboard shortcut, which allows you to quickly jump between windows. In Mac there is also native keyboard shortcut "Move focus to next window" which works the same way (i personally use it a lot!):

1591295232_ScreenShot2018-07-13at8_42_10.png.ee5d6e7646fa151d74187aba09805356.png

There is probably same kind of shortcut on Windows too?

14 hours ago, 8bitdna said:

Taking a whole big step back I quite often look at the API docs but don't find the info I want a lot of things are blank or have placeholder type comment and not explained in full.  I then go off to look at the examples or engine source code to learn about a feature which can take some time.

I do agree that there is still a lot of descriptions in the API docs that are empty. I will find some time after editor 1.6.0 is done and go through the whole API.