Trying to make a Dating Sim...

mateuscmed

Hello everyone, I am kind of lost, my girlfriend is addicted to dating sims and i thought it would be nice to make one for her ?.

My original plan was to make a true html game, with only html, js and css, but i am having trouble designing game program.
                My main difficult is how do I manage the scenes(I am calling every piece of dialogue and it's possible answers a scene) without refreshing the page, I was thinking about loading the game scenes from a xml page, and the input that the player chose will only change the object loaded from the xml file, but i don't know if this option is optimal.
                My other option is to use PHP,  I could even store the scenes into a database, not the cleanest solution....
I am kind of lost, never coded one of this before, does anyone can help me figure out how to manage the system for a game like this?

game.thumb.png.416c0150cfdc0b139891bbc4605c074e.png

1 hour ago, mateuscmed said:

Hello everyone, I am kind of lost, my girlfriend is addicted to dating sims and i thought it would be nice to make one for her ?.

My original plan was to make a true html game, with only html, js and css, but i am having trouble designing game program.
                My main difficult is how do I manage the scenes(I am calling every piece of dialogue and it's possible answers a scene) without refreshing the page, I was thinking about loading the game scenes from a xml page, and the input that the player chose will only change the object loaded from the xml file, but i don't know if this option is optimal.
                My other option is to use PHP,  I could even store the scenes into a database, not the cleanest solution....
I am kind of lost, never coded one of this before, does anyone can help me figure out how to manage the system for a game like this?

game.thumb.png.416c0150cfdc0b139891bbc4605c074e.png

A little screenshot from the front end 

• 2 weeks later...

Unless your decision tree is absolutely huge there is no need to consider true database storage and all the issues that come with that, I imagine your data can be loaded in and that your application can be a stand-alone client-side application (which greatly simplifies things).

It sounds a little like you are confusing two not-really related things:

* How do I change application scenes?

* How do I store the decision tree?

I'm not really sure what a dating sim is so I'm going to assume it is a series of scenes, each with dialogue, and that your dialogue choices affect game play.

Therefore, each scene has its own decision/dialogue graph. This really is a graph as nodes can be connected, but, if you can get away with it (you probably can), make it a tree.

In a tree data flow down linear paths. i.e.

A
   /     \
  B       C
 / \
D   E

This really does simplify how you traverse and store this information.

A graph structure is probably better, but its also a little trickier to use.

Changing scenes is more to do with a larger change to your application and typically all games will have some aspect of this, they are often called game states but I think the term state is a little misleading as effectively the state of any system is made up of all of its constituent parts, not just whether that system is in the Main Menu or the Main Game states. Scene isn't perfect either, but its less confusing (to me anyway).

Many applications apply a Finite State Machine to handle scenes, its hard to find an application without several state machines in operation, particularly where human interaction is expected.

Phaser has a well-defined state machine mechanism with life cycle methods to handle scenes and their transitions. Maybe that would be a good place to do some research.

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the info. It is very important to understand the application market, especially with regard to, for example, online dating applications. Recently, here for this site https://hookupmasters.com/adult-dating-sites/benaughty-review/ I was developing an application that can help them to promote their services and improve the service for the users themselves. At first they made it free, because we’ll already introduce paid functions. In your opinion, how effective is such a model?

Edited by Xima