What is the most appropriate framework for this kind of game?

vesha

Hello everyone,

We need help to choose appropriate cross-platform solution and port our game (real-time quiz game 1-1)
The game consists of four swift games with letters, hints, secret words, matching terms.
You play against opponent in real-time battle allowing very limited time to think.

Native applications for Android,IOS add Flash have been published on store a long time ago.
You can take look here:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=rs.aparteko.brainster.android

There is server part of the game which is written in Java. Client apps (Android, IOS, Flash) communicate with server using sockets .  AMF3 message format is used for commuinication protocol between server and clients.

We are looking for cross-platform solution which will be able to build client for 
 - facebook-web(currently, there is flash client)
 - android (currently, there is android native client), 
 - ios(currently, there is IOS native client) 
 - FB instant games

What is the most appropriate framework for this kind of game?

Thanks in advance

I think your best option would be to use Unity3D. It is not a framework though but an engine. It can export to Android and iOS and using this you can combine Unity3D to create games for Facebook. That being said, I am not sure how much Unity supports websocket connections or http requests. But considering your requirements, I think it is your best option. That being said, I don't know any other framework that may fit your need. Your requirements are so specific that I'd almost suggest to write it yourself, but I understand if you don't want to.

I know a few engines but have not further investigated it, but I personally think that there is no framework that meets your requirements perfectly, either way you need to extend whatever you are going to use with code of your own. My advice is to compare the time you are searching, learning, adapting and extending against the time it would take to write your own framework and see which works best for you.

22 hours ago, TheBoneJarmer said:

I think your best option would be to use Unity3D. It is not a framework though but an engine. It can export to Android and iOS and using this you can combine Unity3D to create games for Facebook. That being said, I am not sure how much Unity supports websocket connections or http requests. But considering your requirements, I think it is your best option. That being said, I don't know any other framework that may fit your need. Your requirements are so specific that I'd almost suggest to write it yourself, but I understand if you don't want to.

I know a few engines but have not further investigated it, but I personally think that there is no framework that meets your requirements perfectly, either way you need to extend whatever you are going to use with code of your own. My advice is to compare the time you are searching, learning, adapting and extending against the time it would take to write your own framework and see which works best for you.

Thanks for you proposal. We have already considered Unity. It supports websockets very well but there is not support for Facebook Instant Games because it is too heavy for Facebook IG for now.
We are 100% aware that will be adaptation for each platform. But we would like to share code between platforms as much as possible.