Jerorx

Tutorial requests

I have written a few tutorials in the past, and would be interested in doing so again. But I'm only one among many other people who regularly make tutorials. With that in mind, I thought a "tutorial requests" topic could be a good idea, allowing people to come by and mention what they would be interested in seeing a (Phaser 3) tutorial or small open-source demo about. Similarly, tutorial makers could also drop by and test the waters by proposing tutorials ideas that they have, but aren't sure if there would be significant interest or not.

For example, someone could come and ask for a minimap tutorial (it's an example, I'm aware there is already an official example for that), which could be picked upon by me or some other tutorial maker. I want to stress that this list is destined to anyone who is looking for tutorial ideas, not just me!

To make it more usable, I will update this initial post regularly to display a summary of the requests posted in the topic!

I hope this will be valuable for as many people as possible :)

Pending requests:

• Best practices regarding the proper use and combination of scenes (for menus, game over, ...)
  • Creating save files using localStorage
  • Tutorials on the basics and how to get started with simple projects

Hi Jerorx, great thread idea!

I would love to see how other developers work with scenes in Phaser 3. Right now, I am still using them like states in Phaser 2 but I am aware that this is not how it's intended.

For example, how would you switch between a menu and play state with the Phaser 3 scenes? Or how do you re-use a Game Over overlay box (which is always the same) on different levels (which are always different) with scenes?

For small projects I guess it's not as vital. But for bigger projects I assume using scenes exactly as intended is crucial in Phaser 3. And I still have yet to come across a game example that shows me a real game using scenes properly. What do you think?

20 hours ago, jamespierce said:

What do you think?

I think it would indeed be welcome, I've seen many people asking for that on Slack. I myself am not as proficient with scenes as I'd like to be. I have added your suggestion to the list in the first post. I'll also start looking into it a bit more seriously and may then write something on it! (If others know about good resources about this, feel free to share them here).

Look man! There are people like me that are in need for something as simple as first steps of a baby. We are unaware of Phaser, and the examples are an advanced place to be!

Can you imagine the features of Phaser that would be an easy beginning for beginners?

If the purpose of your tutorials is to share knowledge with others of your advanced level in coding and gaming do so. But there is no need for that. There are examples and the api documentation that can help them.

I have learned by myself javascript, html, css and you know what? It is the easyness of W3SCHOOL and other resources that make it happend. D3.js is not an easy thing but I have learned it. Because there are sources gor beginners. Not for dummies. Neither for developpers. Just for us decent people who like to learn coding by themselves.

I take you from level zero and together we are going to level 10! Can you make something like that?

Your tutorials are great! I'm currently working with your tilemap chunk one.

I'd be really interested in a tutorial on creating save files using local storage.

On 9/6/2018 at 1:02 PM, makis said:

I take you from level zero and together we are going to level 10! Can you make something like that?

Do you mean for example something like this tutorial from Rich? Or something different?

In any case this is a good idea and I'll think about small projects that could lend themselves to that.  Hopefully, others will as well. I'll update the first post.

I bought it. Pages foul of the logic of his game! We want something that explains a lot of phaser options. Like the documentation or examples but with comments that we can understand. Html css javascript. I have Learned everything from 3w schools. Because you can learn nearly everything if someone can show It whith simplicity and patience. A lot of books about d3.js. I read them all. But there is no book for phaser. Real book not the joke of Feronato! 

On 9/11/2018 at 8:06 PM, makis said:

Like the documentation or examples but with comments that we can understand

@makisI see. I agree with you that the examples may not always be 100% crystal clear. However, as far as I am concerned, being already relatively experienced with Phaser 3 makes it a bit difficult for me to figure out which ones are the less helpful for beginners. Could you maybe post here a list of the Phaser 3 examples for which you'd like to see more detailed comments and documentation (à la w3schools)? Posting such a list here could have two benefits:

- Some people could make pull requests adding comments to the problematic examples;
- Some people/me could decide to focus on some of them and elaborate them into tutorials/demos

I think you make valid points, but I need more specific targets to help motivate me to get started on new tutorials. ;)

Thanks a lot. I shall be there! 

Ask youself: 

- Do I really want to give people simplicity and knowledge and let them make their games?

If yes go and read the Learn Pixi.js and see the skill of this writter !

He just gives his gifts to thirsty people!

The book is free on Gist Hub! ( Awsome Feronato! I payed for your  ...Textbook on Phaser 3).

As for me,

I am leaving Phaser 3 because I understood the logic  on the 'Learn Phaser and make your games'  ...game.

"Dont let anybody come inside.

It is just us. The blessed ones who poccess the  ...Truth!!!

Let the poor people break her bones on the rocks. They will be disappointed. They will go away".