Sign in to follow this  
errordronegames

Sadisticave - Javascript/HTML5 Canvas (no existing game engines or libraries)

Recommended Posts

Sadisticave - A new, challenging platformer created fully in Javascript/HTML, plays right out of your browser and is free to play RIGHT NOW on Itch.io. This is my first ever release, I handled all of the art, music, coding, and trailer. The full project time took 3 months. Here is a link to the game :

https://errordronegames.itch.io/sadisticave

I worked really hard on this, hopefully you guys will enjoy. If you don't have time (or don't want to) play, atleast check out the trailer :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ1lJQHy5ag

Be sure to leave a comment on the itch page if you like it, and come follow me on twitter to be notified on what I'm making next:

https://twitter.com/errordronegames

ss1.PNG

ss3.PNG

ss4.PNG

ss6.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey I saw your posts on Twitter during development a while ago, so nice to see you have finished it now :D Congratulations to the release it's very impressive!

I love the attention to detail like how some dirt is stirred up after jumping or landing. Gameplay is very challenging but fun with collecting the gems to re-fuel the dash. I rarely play platformers so this was  probably a bit harder for me than for others.

I've seen some comments on itch.io saying they would be willing to pay for this game. Do you have any plans to add controller support? I think if the total game-length is good and you added controller support you could totally charge a price ($5 maybe?) for the game. Maybe leave a free demo for the first 5 to 10 levels so people can get hooked first!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/29/2018 at 7:57 PM, Pryme8 said:

I think this was well done, I'm surprised more have not commented.

Keep up your good work!

Thank you so much! It was my first platform game (and first release) so it really makes me happy to hear your kind words :)

 

23 hours ago, jamespierce said:

Hey I saw your posts on Twitter during development a while ago, so nice to see you have finished it now :D Congratulations to the release it's very impressive!

I love the attention to detail like how some dirt is stirred up after jumping or landing. Gameplay is very challenging but fun with collecting the gems to re-fuel the dash. I rarely play platformers so this was  probably a bit harder for me than for others.

I've seen some comments on itch.io saying they would be willing to pay for this game. Do you have any plans to add controller support? I think if the total game-length is good and you added controller support you could totally charge a price ($5 maybe?) for the game. Maybe leave a free demo for the first 5 to 10 levels so people can get hooked first!

Awesome, glad you followed along throughout the project! I recently tweeted gifs of early prototypes which you might like :)

Regarding controller support : It's certainly something I can look into. I'm not too sure how to do so, and if it will work with the current physics (there's no slight pause after dashing and the game is fast paced, so it might not feel great on a controller) I tuned it the keyboard hotkeys so much  based off of playtester feedback (the game went through at least 10 playtest phases throughout development) to the point where I enjoyed it soo much that I turned off certain extra functionalities (got rid of the option of using space bar to jump, and used tap to dash instead of additionally being able to hold dash key to continuously dash).

It's definitely something to think about, I'm sure, but ultimately I don't think I would want to sell this game for money. A few people said they would pay money for the game, but it just feels wrong for a first platformer, first release, and first time ever doing any level design. While I've taken donations for the game, it's definitely something I don't want to demand for my first project, you know? It's more of a "getting out there" project so people know what I can do in only a few months.

Thank you so much for your detailed feedback, I'm really glad you enjoyed it!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, errordronegames said:

it's definitely something I don't want to demand for my first project, you know? It's more of a "getting out there" project so people know what I can do in only a few months

I totally understand you and I think you've already impressed plenty of people to have attention for your next project!

6 hours ago, errordronegames said:

Thank you so much for your detailed feedback, I'm really glad you enjoyed it!

Giving good feedback is hard. I'm glad I was able to say something valuable this time!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I liked it! Played through it a couple of times, first a 100% run and then two "speed" runs, best time 5:22 :-)

Being a hardcore Jumper (Two) fan (earlier games by the creator of Celeste), I would have prefered to use the arrow keys for movement and then probably ASWD for dashing. That, and I died a lot only because after beating a level, the next level immediately accepts keyboard input. I ran into a lof of spikes because of that.

For speedrunning, it would be a nice addition to display a timer somewhere on screen so there's no confusion as to whether or not dying resets the timer for that level (still not sure). 

All in all, pretty cool, I really enjoyed it and registered mostly just to tell you this! Looking forward to your next game, keep it up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.