Reflection Map Not Processing Roughness?

Starflare

Hello!

I've been smacking my head against the wall with this issue for some time now, so I hope you can help me out :D

I had a DDS file for the reflection map for my PBR materials that worked perfectly fine. The image itself had some areas that were way too bright, so I had to adjust it in Photoshop and export it again with nVidia tools as DDS.
nVidia tools has tons of options for the DDS file, but I basically exported a DXT1 without mipmapping as a cubemap, and when loading it again on scene, the scene is waaaaay too dark (and it's not related to the changes I did).

I tested in IBLBaker and I noticed, however, that the gamma of my file exported from Photoshop was 2.20, instead of 1.0 as it usually is when exporting from IBLBaker. If I save the file from Photo in IBLBaker, and load it again, it's way too bright and does not reflect as much detail as the very first one. Tried other different compression formats for the file, but all of them unsuccessful.

[Screenshot from IBLBaker attached]

That it's dark is not an issue, as long as I put some lights on my scene. My biggest concern is that after getting this new environment map into my scene in Babylon, turns out that the roughness is not processed for some reason. Every PBR material is 100% glossy, despite the values or textures applied to them. Metalness is, however, processed.

What could be causing the problem? Am I exporting the DDS file from Photoshop with the wrong settings? Is it an issue from BabylonJS not being able to process a specific DDS compression? I'm at a loss.

I hope you guys can help me. Thanks in advance! ❤️ 

ddshelp.png

I'm not sure Photoshop exports dds converving HDR values (even less sure when you see that the nvidia plugin wasn't been update since 2012).

When you talk about reflection map, you talk about scene environnementTexture right, and not reflectionTexture in each of your PBRMaterials?

Then, in IBL Baker, have you tried playing with Environment Scale to darken a little your envTexture?

97XPPjt.png

And if so, do you use the yourFileName_SpecularHDR.dds?

Thanks for your quick reply!

Yeah, I'm aware that the plugin is totally obsolete... I've been looking on the web for some time now and there's very vague information on this topic, to be honest :( 

I meant the environmentTexture, that's correct. I tried the Environment Scale, but in IBLBaker it only exaggerates the gloss, not the "strength of the lights", if it makes any sense. Also, as I mentioned, the file exported from Photoshop is not processing any values for gloss in BabylonJS for some reason. The darkness of the scene is not as important as the gloss part of it. It's quite weird. Unfortunately I cannot share the file with you, but I hope this explanation is as accurate as possible to define the issue.

The good thing about Photoshop is that it would export a very small file (40kb) compared to IBLBaker (2mb), and the smallest size possible is something really good for my project. Any chance IBLBaker lets me compress the file more or less? Or any other program?

Thank you once more :) 

Ended up doing a workaround, in case it's helpful for anyone, the steps:

- I opened my HDR image, which was set as a cylindrical projection, in Photoshop.

- Changed the mode from 32bits to 16bits, tweaked whatever was needed in Photoshop and saved as PNG  (maybe HDR could work as well but I didn't try).

- Converted to .DDS through a PNG-to-DDS converter online.

- Imported in IBL Baker, saved environment as DDS. IBL Baker transforms the cylindrical projection to cubemap (for BJS) and allows me to choose the resolution.

Profit! :D  Now onto using the BJS Format .ENV to compress the file.

The moral of the story is that Photoshop nVidia DDS Tools is deprecated and destroys the gamma of the files for some reason. Use workarounds!

Thank you again for the help, V!nc3r!