No Phaser any more!!!

makis

LETTER TO PHASER EDITORS AND ANDVANCED MEMBERS OF PHASER FORUM

DEAR PHASER EDITORS AND ADVANCED MEMBERS OF THE PHASER 3 FORUM,

• Ask youself: 

" Do I really want to give people simplicity and knowledge and let them make their games"?

If yes go and read the Learn Pixi.js and see the skill of this writter !

He just gives his gifts to thirsty people! With great skill, patience and simplicity!

The book is free on Gist Hub! ( Awsome Feronato! I payed 20 $ for your  ...Textbook on Phaser 3).

Then I hope that you can understand HOW AND WHAT  you have to do, in order to help poor inocent people that comes to Phaser just to learn to make their games.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• As for me,

I am leaving Phaser 3 because I understood the logic  on the 'Learn Phaser and make your games'  ...game.

"Dont let anybody come inside.

It is just us. The blessed ones who poccess the  ...Truth!!!

Let the poor people break her bones on the rocks. They will be disappointed. They will go away".

It’s fair enough. Some people need hand holding and there aren’t any comprehensive v3 guides written like that yet. Apparently we ought to be able to just magically create them, as if they take no time at all. Back in reality there are more important things to do first though. If we lose some beginners along the way then so be it, I literately cannot do everything at once, there just aren’t enough hours in the day.

In the meantime, thank you to all the wonderful people writing tutorial after tutorial for v3. There are some amazing resources out there and long may they continue.

You are right... actually your mistake was to select Phaser3 while it's under active development. I could assure you that even Phaser2 has lots of bugs but you can deal with most of them (amazon has couple of interesting books).

If you want to be a good game developer you need time (at least couple of years). Learn Phaser, GameMaker, Unity, Defold to get the best out of their tools because finally you will end up creating your own engine.

Once you spend enough time with Phaser you will understand that it's all about: sprite and group ? plus simple physics.

However, if you are new to game development, starting with PIXI is something like starting with Assembler (who remembers it now?) while you are still unfamiliar with C.

Sadly, mr Rich, there is nothing good for Phaser 2 either.

Really nothing for beginners.

As for boys doing noise in their comments, they are just that: Autistic nerds without any life out of the games game!

But the painfull truth  is mr Rich that I,

have learned,

html,  css, javascript from 3w schools.

D3.js from books that I can find EVERYWHERE.

PIXI.JS  is great. I am learning it.

I can see mr Katz, you have  show a real interest to my comment. So I can tell you that I have no interest to become 'a good game dev'. I just want it as a  hobbist. Just for fun. That is. For fun. I can not engage in a big hard dificult thing. When you can find and read sites as 3w school even the most difficult subject looks like fun and you can learn it easily.

So, I would be gratefull if you have something to recommend for making small games just for fun!

Oh... in that case you should give a try to GameMaker. Almost everything can be done only visually and they have great video tutorials. I have no idea how good you are with software development but anyway you will enjoy this game on your mobile/table http://lightbot.com/ There is also much more complicated game on Steam... you can write pretty nice games using only your imagination and finger. If you are really interested just let me know and I will search for it.

Thanks!

I can use svg and gsap.js for small games like that:

https://output.jsbin.com/bejugit/10

I also  have read this book:

Foundation HTML5 Animation with JavaScript

Authors: Lamberta, Billy, Peters, Keith

But it requires a lot of coding without having a library for that. And canvas element it is not something I like.

So I wanted to find a library or framework to make it easier.

Thank you!

As you can see I like to use image.png and not really svg symbols, but it is much easier than on html canvas. That is the reason I am trying to leave svg and go on html with some library. It is beacause I love images not svg draws!

On 9/16/2018 at 1:34 PM, makis said:

LETTER TO PHASER EDITORS AND ANDVANCED MEMBERS OF PHASER FORUM

DEAR PHASER EDITORS AND ADVANCED MEMBERS OF THE PHASER 3 FORUM,

• Ask youself: 

" Do I really want to give people simplicity and knowledge and let them make their games"?

If yes go and read the Learn Pixi.js and see the skill of this writter !

He just gives his gifts to thirsty people! With great skill, patience and simplicity!

The book is free on Gist Hub! ( Awsome Feronato! I payed 20 $ for your  ...Textbook on Phaser 3).

Then I hope that you can understand HOW AND WHAT  you have to do, in order to help poor inocent people that comes to Phaser just to learn to make their games.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• As for me,

I am leaving Phaser 3 because I understood the logic  on the 'Learn Phaser and make your games'  ...game.

"Dont let anybody come inside.

It is just us. The blessed ones who poccess the  ...Truth!!!

Let the poor people break her bones on the rocks. They will be disappointed. They will go away".

Do not use Phaser if you don't like it. Simple...

On 9/17/2018 at 12:05 PM, makis said:

Sadly, mr Rich, there is nothing good for Phaser 2 either.

Really nothing for beginners.

This is so very, very wrong.

There are some amazing Phaser 2 resources.

This book is excellent, starts right from the beginning and goes into lots of depth.

The Zenva Phaser 3 course is massive. 15 hours of really top-quality content, covering all aspects of game dev from ES6 and on. They have a really successful Phaser 2 version as well (which is a lot cheaper). There's even a free 4 course taster you can try for nothing.

There's a free 420 page Phaser 2 book, Game Development for Human Beings, which again is a superb read. Comprehensive, lots of structure covered, lots of details.

There are loads of videos for v2. YouTube is full of playlists like this 8-part one on creating a platform game in v2.

Then there are the one-shot tutorials. The Phaser site alone lists over 710 of them covering everything from single effects like progress bars to massively in-depth coverage of tilemap physics.

I challenge you to find this many resources for Pixi. Actually, I challenge you to find this many resources for any other open source game framework.

It's all out there. To say otherwise is, I'm afraid, ignorance.

And what about the Pĥaser World newsletter? Is hard to find something similar, not in the game dev world, else in the whole IT world. It is not only about news. If you follow that newsletter you can learn Phaser at a deep level, and it is available to every one of us, every week. Phaser is not just an open source project, behind it, there are an open community and an open developer.

@makis actually if you compare svg vs png, I would say svg is much better :) However, it's all about how you keep your resources. The downside of svg is that it requires CPU to get rendered, that's why it's not activly used. Game developers even trying to reduce transparen pixels in sprite (png image) by using triangular polygons (unfortunately phaserdoes not support them yet). Anyway, Phaser looks way complicated and difficult untill you spend at least half/one year with it.

BTW here is the creator of PhaserEditor @PhaserEditor2D. It's kind of GameMaker but simpler and uses Phaser. The advantage of Phaser vs GameMaker is that it uses JS, which has tons of Q/A on stackoverflow. There is also mightyeditor... it looks awesome from demo videos but I personally never used it. I prefer custom/own editors/solutions, simply because I can easily change/upgrade them at any time. However, GameMaker is almost only GUI... that's not acceptable for real game developers but could be a good start for you.

I am learning all editors and technologies to get the best out of each but since game development is not your job and just a hobby, start with gui and once it will not be enought, switch to technology which requires more codding :)

Mr Rich,

You have the power to get our ignorance and make it to Knowledge.

You, better than all of us, know how to build our knowledge.

Take us from the darkness to light!

It is up to you!

All resources you have told us about, make some good starting points but only this. A  very starting point. Then you go to the advanced, very advanced level. So we are left alone!

Mr Wombat, it is the Phaser's group developpers task to make a lot of resourses for people that have the generosity to go with phaser. They honored phaser developpers. And they have the right to have access to phaser. And people like you are hostile and you think you are something because you know to code games! Ha!

3 hours ago, makis said:

Mr Wombat, it is the Phaser's group developpers task to make a lot of resourses for people that have the generosity to go with phaser. They honored phaser developpers. And they have the right to have access to phaser. And people like you are hostile and you think you are something because you know to code games! Ha!

I'm not being hostile at all man. I was just trying to say, Phaser gives you the tools / foundation for the job. And it does it well, it's your job as a game developer to use those tools and take your game to the next level :) 

Was not my intention at being hostile at all.. if it came off that way I apologize. 

On 9/19/2018 at 10:22 AM, makis said:

It is up to you!

All resources you have told us about, make some good starting points but only this. A  very starting point. Then you go to the advanced, very advanced level. So we are left alone!

Actually, it's up to you to learn. I gave you links to more resources than you could probably even manage to read or watch in a year. What you do with those is entirely up to you. To say they are all 'starting points' proves you haven't even looked at them I'm afraid.

Learning takes effort. You get out what you put in. Put nothing in, get nothing out.

The fact there are literally thousands of really fantastic games made with Phaser demonstrates the barrier to entry isn't that high, or we wouldn't see anything made with it. There is no way all of those developers are all 'advanced' from the beginning. None of them read some super-secret hidden book you've yet to find. Most learn by experimenting. Going through tutorials, docs, and examples and actually sitting down and working.

This isn't a conspiracy. Anyone is capable of doing it if they have the willpower.