Phaser2 and socketcluster performance - sanity check required

dark

I'm writing a 2D space shooter. It started as a single player Phaser2 game a couple of years back, and now it's multiplayer with socketcluster.io providing the back end on node.js.

The game is at the point where performance is starting to matter (and degrade), and I'm having a bad time rendering the slither.io-quantity of sprites on the screen.

I'm probably just writing bad code, and I'm quite happy to work through that myself, but I'm not sure that I'm using the right frameworks underneath, and I'd like some help sorting that out before I start working through the problems I am having.

What I'm wondering is whether I should persist with Phaser2 and socketcluster.io and debug my performance issues here (Chrome dev-tools reckons that most of my time is being spent in drawImage or textaImage2D in Phaser2), or if I should first upgrade from Phaser2 to something else like Phaser3 or PIXI4? Perhaps socketcluster is not as important as I once thought?

Can anyone give me a kick in the right direction on this? :)

Thanks!